Brewing all 5 gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonek

Reaction score
If I go to a bigger pot and can brew all 5 gallons, but the kit says to brew 2 gallons and add top off water in the fermenter, is it going to make a difference, or should I look for kits/recipes that require full brewing? Was that confusing?

you'll get a better beer in the end if you can boil the entire batch. the hops and malt will be able to 'interact' with all the water and produce a better wort than 2 gallons of wort and then diluting it with 3 gallons of water.

and of course, more volume of boiling hot wort does mean you need to be cautious and patient with the cooldown. a wort chiller or a series of cold baths is pretty much mandatory if you want a good cold break to precipitate some undesirables to the bottom of your pot.

You will also probably want to decrease the amount of hops you add. As the boil is less concentrated when boiling all 5 gallons you will get better utilization. Any brewing software can help you with this.

Lonek said:
Anyone have a good link to a brew calc for this? Thanks!
If in the meantime you want to see a conversion, post your current recipe and details (IBU's , SRM, etc) and I can run it through beersmith for you.

www.beersmith.com is where you can get a trial version of the software.

Or go to:

http://beertools.com/html/recipes.php and register to access an online recipe generator.

Lonek said:
Anyone have a good link to a brew calc for this? Thanks!

pretty much all of the software packages will do this. I use promash and there's a place where you can input batch volume & boil volume. It calculates it from that and gives you the IBUs. For example, I do 5g batches but only boil 3g. I'm still waiting to see if BeerToolsPro will have support for late extract additions.

Back