Anyone ever used Cry Havoc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambler

Reaction score
So I got some of this yeast and was curious to get everyones opinions on it. I have a feeling I will be using it to finish off this big barleywine and can't find any info on the alcohol tolerance.

I dont know about barley wine but i've used it with great results!I did a killer cream ale from northern brewer fermented in the 62-65 degree range.Also 2 pale ales and a cali common,all really good.So in my experiance i would say its a pretty good all purpose yeast!

Thank you.

I guess I will run into you this coming weekend at the judging at the Breck Brewery.

I have a problem with the story of Cry Havoc as told by Coors. They said it was from a Bud keg. I suppose that yeast could be from decades ago, but Bud is filtered before bottling or kegging. How could there have been anything significant in the keg?

Just curious.

The yeast was in fact from decades ago. I believe Finn gave Charlie the yeast sometime in the mid-80's.

While filtering does certainly remove most of the yeast, it does not remove ALL of it. Mature yeast cells are typically 3-4 microns. Buds are much smaller. Some yeast cells do slip through the kieselgur filter bed.

How do you think White Labs and Wyeast obtained all the different strains they have?

The COORS R&D lab certainly had the tools and knowledge to obtain a single cell from a keg of Bud and to grow a culture from that.

Latest posts

Back