Island mist questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meanwine

Reaction score
I just got done making one of there kits and when it was in the 8 gallon pail for the first 7 days it had a inch or so of foam from the yeast, I just started a diffrent kit of island mist and its been 6 days and it never produced the foam and the temp has been around 75 to 80 the whole time. I guess im just a lil concerned bc the last kit is a lil light on the alcohal content it tastes to be about 6% to 8% and i would like it if it was around like 12%.

So is no foam normal? And is there anything you can do to get the alcohol content up on a wine kit?

Thanks

if you find the f pack add too much sweetness then next time add some when you add the grape juice.

Island Mist kits are made to replicate a cocktail, not a true wine. :(

SWMBO and I discussed how we planned to address this issue. I suggested adding a few pounds of fermentables, but she was not entirely excited about the way that would throw off the acidity, etc. (She has a lot of input in wines... couldn't care less for beer brewing, lol!)

We decided that at the end of the fermentation and whatnot, before bottling, we would dump a bottle or two of vodka into the mix and then bottle after that. We're going to use a flavored vodka that will "match" the Island Mist flavors.

How will that work out?

23L * .06 = 1.38 L EtOH in Island Mist
1.5L * .40 = 0.60 L EtOH in 2 bottles of flavored 80 proof vodka

1.98 / 24.5L = 0.08 = 8% ABV

At low volumes, each fifth of 80 proof vodka adds about 1% ABV, so you can substitute your own numbers in there and figure how much you need with some algebra (the 1% ratio isn't constant all the way to 23L). It's not as cheap as sugar would have been, but I trust that it will work out very satisfactorily in the end. :cross:

Island Mist kits are made to replicate a cocktail, not a true wine. :(

SWMBO and I discussed how we planned to address this issue. I suggested adding a few pounds of fermentables, but she was not entirely excited about the way that would throw off the acidity, etc. (She has a lot of input in wines... couldn't care less for beer brewing, lol!)

We decided that at the end of the fermentation and whatnot, before bottling, we would dump a bottle or two of vodka into the mix and then bottle after that. We're going to use a flavored vodka that will "match" the Island Mist flavors.

How will that work out?

23L * .06 = 1.38 L EtOH in Island Mist
1.5L * .40 = 0.60 L EtOH in 2 bottles of flavored 80 proof vodka

1.98 / 24.5L = 0.08 = 8% ABV

At low volumes, each fifth of 80 proof vodka adds about 1% ABV, so you can substitute your own numbers in there and figure how much you need with some algebra (the 1% ratio isn't constant all the way to 23L). It's not as cheap as sugar would have been, but I trust that it will work out very satisfactorily in the end. :cross:

I will deff. have to do that! I put a table spoon or 2 of sugar in on the 6th day of primary fermentation and put it in the carboy to start secondary fermentation the next day so hopefully that didn't screw anything up, the SG. was like .998

They are supposed to be a lower alcohol content wine. I add 5lbs of sugar to the primary though and follow all of the other instructions to a T. I've been doing so for about 3 years and I continue to open bottles and be amazed. I have yet to discover an off flavor.

After aging, they become the best fruit wines I have ever made. They usually ferment out to 15-14% ABV. The fruit is very prominent and the alcohol is still mild. A perfect dessert wine.

They are supposed to be a lower alcohol content wine. I add 5lbs of sugar to the primary though and follow all of the other instructions to a T. I've been doing so for about 3 years and I continue to open bottles and be amazed. I have yet to discover an off flavor.

After aging, they become the best fruit wines I have ever made. They usually ferment out to 15-14% ABV. The fruit is very prominent and the alcohol is still mild. A perfect dessert wine.

I did this for my first ever kit. My wine has a bitter after taste. It is still in carboy I am hoping it gets better as it ages. Do you have same problem?

I did this for my first ever kit. My wine has a bitter after taste. It is still in carboy I am hoping it gets better as it ages. Do you have same problem?

My only difficulty is degassing. Even with aging, I find bottled kit wines with more than desireable gas. Of course a little shake or leaving the cork off for 20 seems to fix the problem, but it nicer to address the problem earlier. I guess the co2 could contribute slighty to a bitter taste?

The manufacturers don't really recommend aging the Island Mist kits, and Yoop suggested that I drink mine young in another thread one time. Take that any which way you like. :)

My only difficulty is degassing. Even with aging, I find bottled kit wines with more than desireable gas. Of course a little shake or leaving the cork off for 20 seems to fix the problem, but it nicer to address the problem earlier. I guess the co2 could contribute slighty to a bitter taste?
I have never had a gas problem since I got one of these a while back. It will make easy work of degassing a carboy.

(Manufacture photo)
http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=1151&pid=7077
FSMSSY0200-000_3_2359_3.JPG

Here is a demonstration of how a similar pump works.
http://www.youtube.com/v/SyF7febQiGk

I have never had a gas problem since I got one of these a while back. It will make easy work of degassing a carboy.

(Manufacture photo)
http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=1151&pid=7077
FSMSSY0200-000_3_2359_3.JPG

Here is a demonstration of how a similar pump works.
http://www.youtube.com/v/SyF7febQiGk

Very nice! I should use that too. I guess the vacuum isn't strong enough to create a pressure to break glass carboys? I've been using a degassing wand with marginal effects.

Very nice! I should use that too. I guess the vacuum isn't strong enough to create a pressure to break glass carboys? I've been using a degassing wand with marginal effects.

I use it with my glass carboys without a problem. It produces a max of 20in/hg vacuum. You can just hold it on top of the bung used with the airlock or remove their collection cup and use your own cup with a long hose.

Back