Partial Mash version of Denny's Rye IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
Has anyone made a partial mash version of Denny's Rye IPA? One that has been tasted and verified as awesome? I haven't gotten around to a full mash yet...mostly because my apartment is tiny and my current brewing equipment is already taking over.

Also, I use 23 L (6 gal) batches. Is beersmiths scaling to be trusted for scaling up from 5 gallons?

Just multiply all the ingredients by 6/5 to convert the recipe from 5 to 6 gallons. If you do a partial boil you might need to up the hopping a bit as well.

To convert to a partial mash just swap out as much pale malt as you want (leaving a few pounds to ensure everything converts/lauters) for pale extract (the conversion rate will depend on your efficiency and the efficiency the recipe was written for). In beersmith just put your efficiency and the amount of each grain you'll use in the partial mash, and then add extract until you hit the OG the recipe calls for.

Hope that helps, good luck.

northern brewer forum has a long thread on Denny's Rye with many PM versions discussed. The AG is awesome, one of my favorites.

Just multiply all the ingredients by 6/5 to convert the recipe from 5 to 6 gallons. If you do a partial boil you might need to up the hopping a bit as well.

To convert to a partial mash just swap out as much pale malt as you want (leaving a few pounds to ensure everything converts/lauters) for pale extract (the conversion rate will depend on your efficiency and the efficiency the recipe was written for). In beersmith just put your efficiency and the amount of each grain you'll use in the partial mash, and then add extract until you hit the OG the recipe calls for.

Hope that helps, good luck.

So, to scale up a recipe, I should just multiply the ingredients by 6/5...is this what most people do? What about hops scaling?

In Beersmith and Beer Recipator etc, the automatic scaling for HOPS seems quite a bit more complex. The numbers usually work out differently. I'm not sure of the math it uses, but it's definitely not as simple as multiply by 6/5. I can see matching IBUs (whatever the math), but don't know what logic it uses for scaling aroma hops.

There are more complex formulas involved if you are scaling from a homebrew sized batch to a pro-sized batch (they get better hop utilization than we do), but otherwise simply scaling each malt/hop addition works perfectly fine.

For changes to a partial boil it will depend on your volume. The biggest issue is that IBUs saturate at ~100 IBUs, so if you are only boiling half of the wort you'll you can get at most 50 IBUs. There is some debate over whether you get lower utilization in a higher gravity wort (like a partial boil) but from what John Palmer has said recently this really isn't the case.

There are more complex formulas involved if you are scaling from a homebrew sized batch to a pro-sized batch (they get better hop utilization than we do), but otherwise simply scaling each malt/hop addition works perfectly fine.

For changes to a partial boil it will depend on your volume. The biggest issue is that IBUs saturate at ~100 IBUs, so if you are only boiling half of the wort you'll you can get at most 50 IBUs. There is some debate over whether you get lower utilization in a higher gravity wort (like a partial boil) but from what John Palmer has said recently this really isn't the case.

Thanks for your reply. I looked in the forum to read up on this stuff. I do use a partial boil. Should I just maximize my boil volume as much as I can manage and not worry about the hop utilization / late extract addition stuff?

Let me see if understand the 100 IBU limit. Does this mean that the solubility of isomerised alpha acids maxes out at about 100 IBU and the rest either don't isomerize/dissolve or precipitate? So, if I boil in half my final volume at 100 IBU (maximum) then cool and dilute to the final volume, I can only achieve 50 IBUs? Yikes! I guess I need to use at least 3/4 of my final volume to get 75 IBUs. Does Beersmith correct for this in its IBU calculation?

Thanks for your reply. I looked in the forum to read up on this stuff. I do use a partial boil. Should I just maximize my boil volume as much as I can manage and not worry about the hop utilization / late extract addition stuff?

Let me see if understand the 100 IBU limit. Does this mean that the solubility of isomerised alpha acids maxes out at about 100 IBU and the rest either don't isomerize/dissolve or precipitate? So, if I boil in half my final volume at 100 IBU (maximum) then cool and dilute to the final volume, I can only achieve 50 IBUs? Yikes! I guess I need to use at least 3/4 of my final volume to get 75 IBUs. Does Beersmith correct for this in its IBU calculation?

Exactly (as far as I understand)!

Latest posts

Back