Force carbing at room temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
Is this OK?

My keezer holds 5 kegs and I want to keep it filled with ready-to-drink brew. This means that I would need to force carb outside of the keezer. I know that carbonation happens faster on a chilled beer, but will it still work...maybe just take an extra day or so?

TIA,

John

It shouldn't take longer, but will take a higher pressure. Cold beer absorbs co2 better, so the colder the beer the less pressure you need to put on it. For my system, a keg at 40 degrees will be perfect with 11 psi. At 65 degrees, it'll take about 35 psi for the same carb level.

Here's a carbonation/temperature chart:

http://ebrew.com/primarynews/ct_carbonation_chart.htm

Thx Yooper.

So, simply put it is OK to force carb at room temp. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a no-no. :)

Thanks again!

John

Depending how long the kegs are going to be sitting warm, you might also want to naturally carb them with some sugar.

I sometimes do it myself. Just mind the temp chart Yooper posted and you'll be set. I saw a chart one time that went up to 80F. You might see if you can find a similar one if your room temp is above 60F. BeemSmith also has a conversion if you have that. It's the carbonation section of the recipe. Just plug in Forced Carb and your desired volume and temp. BeerSmith will spit out your CO2 pressure.

I sometimes do it myself. Just mind the temp chart Yooper posted and you'll be set. I saw a chart one time that went up to 80F. You might see if you can find a similar one if your room temp is above 60F. BeemSmith also has a conversion if you have that. It's the carbonation section of the recipe. Just plug in Forced Carb and your desired volume and temp. BeerSmith will spit out your CO2 pressure.

Yep..saw that in BS. Is 2.4 a standard for carb?

+1 on the natural carbonation. This way you don't have to worry about having a second CO2 tank and keeping it connected for about 2-3 weeks to complete the force carbonation.

Back