Keg conditioning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
Since I have quite a bit a beer in my pipeline I have been keg conditioning instead of force carbing. I figure I'm saving on C02 that way. When I bottle conditioned I used to mix the sugar in boiling water and then add it to my bottling bucket. But my last 4-5 batches I just dumped the sugar in the keg and then racked the beer. So far they have all turned out fine. Have I just been lucky? Or does sugar need to be sterilized before being added to a keg?

I've done the same thing on occasion with no problems, but if I've got the time and I'm not feeling lazy I'll sanitize the sugar by boiling it for 10mins.

I would say "tempting fate." Eventually you're going to pick up an infection from the sugar or "dirty" measuring cup.

I would suggest another benefit of boiling. Dissolving the sugar in water speeds up the conditioning efforts of the yeast

In my mind, it's a very mild risk. Heck, we don't sanitize hops before dry hopping...and those are exposed to a lot more nasties than processed dextrose.

However, rcrabb22 has a good point in that the dissolved sugar will kick off priming faster.

none of my kegs seal up tight until they've got a good 10psi in them, so conditioning with sugar seems like it would just leak out all the CO2 unless you first used a shot of CO2 to ensure a good seal - sort of defeating the purpose of saving bottled CO2.

none of my kegs seal up tight until they've got a good 10psi in them, so conditioning with sugar seems like it would just leak out all the CO2 unless you first used a shot of CO2 to ensure a good seal - sort of defeating the purpose of saving bottled CO2.

Good point...most of mine take 20+, one takes 45 PSI...

Right now I condition at about 80 degrees so I give the kegs a few blasts of C02 to purge the oxygen out and then pressurize it to about 30 psi. After that the sugar and the yeast complete the process.

Then you're probably fine. Slightly higher risk not boiling, and slightly longer conditioning time because the sugar isn't dissolved immediately, but no big deal.

Back