kegging noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rono73

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry to ask more simpleton questions, but I can't find the answers or a thread that helps!

I'm ready to rack to my corny. Do I chill it before gassing it?

Is there a relatively standard procedure in a thread somewhere? I don't know a thing about how to adjust the pressure or how to use the system really. It's a double keg system, with 3 gauges. I'm only kegging one keg right now.

How long typically before its ready to drink (A Britsh Bitter style)?

Thanks again all.

I rack my cold crashed beer (38F) into a sanitary keg at room temperature, bleed out the O2, and done.

Edit:

I set most to 10-12psi for 10-14 days before they are ready.

I generally gas my empty, sanitized keg... let the pressure off, open, and rack in the new beer. Throw it in the keezer, gas it, purge it (to ensure there's no O2 trapped in the keg), gas it, purge it, and gas it for good... let it cool while absorbing CO2 for a week, taste it, let it age for another week, taste it, let it age for another week, drink it until its gone. :cross:

I rack to corny purge O2, chill overnight then turn regulator up to 30 psi and let sit for 2 days, after 2 days turn regulator down to serving pressure. I am to impatient to wait 5 - 7 days for it to carb at serving pressure.

Cooling the beer down in the keg before carbonation is a good idea. However, I never want to add an extra day of waiting!

I usually just keg the fermentation temp beer, purge, then set to 30 psi for 1-2 days in the kegerator. After the 2 days, vent, then turn down to serving pressure. I have never had anything but perfectly carbed beer!

Thanks all. I just found the documentation that was sent with all the other kegging equipment. I chilled it overnight, then set it for 30 psi. After about 30 hours the psi on the gauge has dropped to about 24 psi. Is that normal?

The instructions I have say 24 hours at 30 psi, then drop it to 10 psi and sample. If it's not ready, up it to 20 psi for another 24 hours. Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Thanks all. I just found the documentation that was sent with all the other kegging equipment. I chilled it overnight, then set it for 30 psi. After about 30 hours the psi on the gauge has dropped to about 24 psi. Is that normal?

The instructions I have say 24 hours at 30 psi, then drop it to 10 psi and sample. If it's not ready, up it to 20 psi for another 24 hours. Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

I have had my regulator drop by a couple of psi after I set it to 30 and come back and check in the morning. You got nothing to worry about.

If your in a hurry to carbonate (drink your beer), which I usually am, I don't think 24 hrs at 30 psi is enough. I usually put mine at 30 psi for 48 hours then drop down to serving pressure.

After you have kegged a couple of batches you will get a feel for what works for you and your equipment.

I rack to corny purge O2, chill overnight then turn regulator up to 30 psi and let sit for 2 days, after 2 days turn regulator down to serving pressure. I am to impatient to wait 5 - 7 days for it to carb at serving pressure.

I do something similar. I purge the empty keg with CO2 and rack the beer whether it be chilled or not, then hit it with 30 psi can chill or continue chilling as the case may be. I keep hitting it with the 30 psi regularly whenever I have the opportunity for the first 48 hours. After that, I dial it down to 20 and wait another 24 hours. At that point I check it daily by pouring a sample. When I first detect any carbonation at all, I dial it down to about 15 psi and continue checking it daily until the carbonation is about where I want it, then back off to 12-13 psi typically, for serving pressure. The carbonation seems to improve over the next week where the bubbles become tiny and more uniform. The CO2 is absorbed through the surface of the beer and it takes awhile for it to diffuse evenly throughout the keg. You can shake the keg in order to speed up the diffusion, but then you risk stirring up any sediment that may be present. I prefer to not shake the keg except maybe initially when first charging it with gas. That can speed things up a little and if yoiu are in a big hurry you can set the gas at serving pressure and rock the keg for a half hour or so. It's faster if the beer is chilled. I only do that as a last resort if I am in a hurry to get the beer carbed for some reason. There is a danger of overcarbing the beer if you do this much above serving pressure. At serving pressure, you can shake all day long without risking the dreaded over-carbonation problem. Once you have the beer over carbed, it seems to take forever to get it back down to where you want it.

Back