Infected Cider??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpamDog

Reaction score
Well I just racked my Cider/Cyser over to secondary.. Recipie as follows:

5# Honey
Approx 1.5 Gal Fresh Pressed Cider
1 packet Red Star Monetracet (sp?)
5 Cinimon Sticks
Small hand full of Cloves
No name yeast nutriant and enegizer (followed instrutions on package.. i think .5 or .25 tsp per gal but i can't remember now and don't have my notes)

Anyway.. heated up honey some cider threw in cloves and cinimon and let simmer approx 160 degF for about 15 min or so.. while sanitizing everything else and rehydrating yeast.
Added cold cider to plastic bucket
Added hot cider w/honey to bucket..
Stired till tired
added nutrients
took SG (1.135 if i remember correctly)
Pitched yeast
Covered and Forget about it..

This all happend on 1/8/07.. Yesterday (2/5/07) the airlock had slowed down and I decided to rack to secondary to let it cool out... so I open the bucket and find this:
Infected.JPG

So.. Is that white stuff an infection?? it didn't look fuzzy or anything.. and was only around the floating stuff..
I racked anyway.. and it tasted okay.. young and strong as would be expected.. but tasted okay.. and I didn't get sick.
So any thoughts??

Also this is what it looked like when i was done.. I was careful to rack from the bottom and leave enought to not get the white stuff.. so I didn't get my full 2 gal but not a bad amount anyway
cyser.JPG

SpamDog

Did you use campden at all? That does look like mold. When you use fruit juices, or fruit, you should always use campden to help kill/halt mold, yeasts, and bacteria.

I'd smash up two campden tablets immediately, dissolve them in a little warm water, and add it right away. And then keep an eye on it.

Yooper Chick said:
Did you use campden at all? That does look like mold. When you use fruit juices, or fruit, you should always use campden to help kill/halt mold, yeasts, and bacteria.

I'd smash up two campden tablets immediately, dissolve them in a little warm water, and add it right away. And then keep an eye on it.

The cider was Pasturized from the store... and I heated/pasturized the cinimon/cloves when i started.. That is why I figured there wouldn't be a problem.. I'm gonna go do the Campden Tabs now... Hopefully that works as I left most the white filmy stuff in the bucket when I racked... Any thoughts on the pros or cons of also adding Sorbate.. maybe keep any wild yeastys or other baddies from getting a good foot hold.. the yeast has already pretty much hit its alch tolerance so I am not worried about them starting back up.. this thing is around 13abv by the way and I currently store it in the basement with my 5 gal of mead at an avg temp of 47-50degF so hopefully that will help as well..
Also that little white bubbleish ring in the second picture is still in the bottles and stays on the side of the glass when it's tilted... man I hope this thing is still good

Off to save the Cyser!!

SpamDog

SpamDog said:
The cider was Pasturized from the store... and I heated/pasturized the cinimon/cloves when i started.. That is why I figured there wouldn't be a problem.. I'm gonna go do the Campden Tabs now... Hopefully that works as I left most the white filmy stuff in the bucket when I racked... Any thoughts on the pros or cons of also adding Sorbate.. maybe keep any wild yeastys or other baddies from getting a good foot hold.. the yeast has already pretty much hit its alch tolerance so I am not worried about them starting back up.. this thing is around 13abv by the way and I currently store it in the basement with my 5 gal of mead at an avg temp of 47-50degF so hopefully that will help as well..
Also that little white bubbleish ring in the second picture is still in the bottles and stays on the side of the glass when it's tilted... man I hope this thing is still good

Off to save the Cyser!!

SpamDog

Pasteurized cider shouldn't be a problem, but I did use campden in mine anyway. It's one of those "can't hurt- probably help" type things. I do sulfite my wines, as I'm investing alot of time and energy into them, and want to keep them.

No reason to use sorbate now- sorbate inhibits yeast. I don't think your problem is wild yeast (gosh- I sound like a gynecologist here or something), but I don't know exactly what it is. I hope it's not "flowers of wine"- maybe read this and see if that's what you have: http://www.bacchus-barleycorn.com/PDFfiles/LearnMore/Beer Mycoderma aka Flowers of Wine.pdf
Even so, if it's early and caught in time, you're ok. If it tastes good, that's really encouraging.
Good luck!

Thanks for your help... man there is just a wealth of information on the internet huh?? hehe.. anyway.. I decided to sorbate anyway.. guess it couldn't hurt and will atleast insure that my yeast is done... I tried to scrape some of the white ring out of the jars but couldn't get anything in at the correct angle to get it so that is out... Hopefully the Campden and cold weather will be enought... then just rack carefully to a tritary (sp?) probably leave alot of left over and then fill the gap with the middle section of the other two bottles.. I just hope I got it... would hate for the cold to shut it down and then get moldy bottles once i let it warm up..
Thanks Again... if this survives I might owe you a bottle!

SpamDog

Well after the sorbate/sulfate.. the white ring at the top of the 1 gal seems to have gone away... it is very slightly noticable when you are up close if you tilt the bottle.. the other two havn't changed any.. so I guess I will just wait it out and see what happens.. maybe give it a few more weeks and then rack again?

SpamDog

Yeah I hope so.. wish the smaller jars would clear up too.. I was going to use them to top off when I rack.. guess we'll see how it goes... Thanks for all the help.. it is nice to know there are people on here that are quick to respond and know a hell of alot more than I do

SpamDog

Back