Cranberries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing a belgian wheat beer of some type with cranberries. I would prefer to use frozen cranberries. I'd like to achieve a nice tart flavor, but not overdo the cranberrieness. Any suggestions on the method I should use to impart the cranberry flavor and the amount of cranberries I should use? Should I add to the boil or after or in the fermenter? I would appreciate any input. Thanks.

well if you want a noticeable berry flavor and aroma think dry hopping. you add the fruit in the secondary the CO2 wont carry away as much of the fruit flavor and aroma. puree and freeze them to get the juice out. look into using pectic enzyme to reduce haze. if you use canned berries you don't need to worry about pasteurizing them, that was already done for you when they where put in the can. if they are fresh then you need to raise their temp above 160F for 20-30 minutes to kill anything that may be living on them.

Back