Micro Derm infection? recycled yeast 4x

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casebrew

Reaction score
Everything I read says it is a micro-derm infection- white, powdery membrane floating on the secindary.

It was just a couple bubbles, with a white powdery insides look, in the third time I used the yeast, but it was/is still good beer. Now, after 2 weeks in secondary, it is a film over the whole top, streaks extending up the sides. I sucked some of the top layer into a glass to sample, not good. I guess I'll dump it. Or maybe I'll rack carefully from the middle and sample it agian, nothing to lose, I can always dump the bottles and wash them. I already dumped the saved yeast cake.

I didn't do any thing to save the yeast betwen batchs except bottle some of the cake, as if it were beer, and then refirgerate the few weeks 'til makeing a starter for the next batch.

But, just what is micro-derm? I can't find any scientific use of the term, except for facial scrubs, and homebrewing. Is it a contracion/abreviation of dermatophytes, nail fungus? er what?

Do you just save the trub or do you wash it?

I haven't had any yeast go bad on me that I washed except one that I washed twice (new water each time). I think that was because I took too much of the alcohol off of it.

Sounds like you have an infection there. Sorry for your loss.

Darn, I seem to have lost a respnse/more info. Gues I hit "preview' instead of 'post'?

I just saved the trub, poured into a beer bottle and capped.

I do wonder if it isn't just yeast spore? I read up on yeast's lifecycle, and it can go into a spore-making stage when it gets low on food. Seems it can reproduce two ways, budding- mutilpying by dividing, or make spores to preserve it's genes in hard times. Apparently, it's spores in liqiud yeast, live cells in dry.

Anyhow, I will taste some of the beer from the middle, instead of the scum off the top. A sample from the bottom with the cake in it wouldn't taste good either, all that yeast and hops.

Okay, I tried some beer out of the middle of the carboy, and it tasted like...BEER!

I guess I won't dump it until after It is bottle conditioned, then only of it looks/tastes bad. Or makes me hear the colors of the rainbow er somthin...

Doog_Si_Reeb said:
If that works, can you send me the recipe and step-by-step instructions? :cross:

Maybe I'll sell yeast slants? Hmm, any laws against brewing halucinogenic beer? LSD is from moldy rye bread, Ergot poisoning.... No effects from yesterday's glass. Maybe it needs more conditioning?

I'm figuring it has some Lambic sort of grunge. Harmless in Belgium, should I worry? But nobody has defined 'micro derm' by for me by species yet. Unless it means "very thin skin" on beer. That would be no help either. If it's staph, or rabies, that would be different than if it is just Lacto Bacillus or Pedococrust, that they add to salami, sauetkraut, cheese, etc. Cheesy beer? Why not? Isn't Limburger near Lambique?

casebrew said:
Maybe I'll sell yeast slants? Hmm, any laws against brewing halucinogenic beer? LSD is from moldy rye bread, Ergot poisoning.... No effects from yesterday's glass. Maybe it needs more conditioning?

I'm figuring it has some Lambic sort of grunge. Harmless in Belgium, should I worry? But nobody has defined 'micro derm' by for me by species yet. Unless it means "very thin skin" on beer. That would be no help either. If it's staph, or rabies, that would be different than if it is just Lacto Bacillus or Pedococrust, that they add to salami, sauetkraut, cheese, etc. Cheesy beer? Why not? Isn't Limburger near Lambique?

I love limburger, and I love beer. Limburger beer, though, would be a stretch. Well, I'm glad you're taking RDWHAHB to heart. The only thing I know about micoderm is it's "milky strands". Not powdery. Good luck on this, whatever you decide.

Lorena

It's the Miracle of Resurrection! My Flat Ass Tired Lives on!

AAAand the WINNER IS----

Whoever said ale yeasts at low temps do this? Cal V in particular? I guess that got it. Back in January, I bottled some in a growler. Still had that taste, even after conditoning. Still has it today.

But, the major volume in the carboy tastes fine today. Still got white stuff floating on top. But the floaties are tasteless.

I'm going with the theory that it's been kind of cool since I brewed it in December, and it did't get warm enough to cook off the umm... diacetyl? (Isn't it a diacetyl rest that Lagers need? ) So, while I've been busy elsewhere, my carboy has 'rested' sometime in the last 6 weeks. I guess I've lagered my ale? I'll bottle asap.

Back