Using washed yeast & Mr. Malty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carp

Reaction score
So I've read the yeast washing thread (at least most of it) and have played around with the Mr. Malty calculator. Finally putting this info into practice and seeking confirmation that I'm on the right track.

Last week I washed yeast from a 2nd generation US-05 cake from mid 1.060s IPAs. I only did one cycle of washing - that is I added cooled boiled water to the slurry in the fermenter, sloshed it around a lot, let it settle a bit, and poured it into a 1 qt mason jar. I did not do a second cycle of 'extracting' into smaller jars for a more concentrated result.

So my jar (2 actually - it was a 10 gallon batch) is full of beery looking liquid, with 3/4" of slurry on the bottom. This layer is actually two layers, with the bottom layer a bit darker and representing about 25% of the total slurry. I assume that the bottom layer is trub and the creamier layer is yeast?

I'm calling this 3/4" of stuff 60 ml. Setting the 'non yeast percentage' parameter of the calculator to 25%, this says I need 120 ml for the IPA I'm brewing right now, so I guess I should not try to directly pitch what I have. I'm doing no chill, so I'll have some wort and time, so I guess its my chance to make my first starter.

So far does it seem that I'm going about this correctly?

thanks

So I've read the yeast washing thread (at least most of it) and have played around with the Mr. Malty calculator. Finally putting this info into practice and seeking confirmation that I'm on the right track.

Last week I washed yeast from a 2nd generation US-05 cake from mid 1.060s IPAs. I only did one cycle of washing - that is I added cooled boiled water to the slurry in the fermenter, sloshed it around a lot, let it settle a bit, and poured it into a 1 qt mason jar. I did not do a second cycle of 'extracting' into smaller jars for a more concentrated result.

So my jar (2 actually - it was a 10 gallon batch) is full of beery looking liquid, with 3/4" of slurry on the bottom. This layer is actually two layers, with the bottom layer a bit darker and representing about 25% of the total slurry. I assume that the bottom layer is trub and the creamier layer is yeast?

I'm calling this 3/4" of stuff 60 ml. Setting the 'non yeast percentage' parameter of the calculator to 25%, this says I need 120 ml for the IPA I'm brewing right now, so I guess I should not try to directly pitch what I have. I'm doing no chill, so I'll have some wort and time, so I guess its my chance to make my first starter.

So far does it seem that I'm going about this correctly?

thanks

I'm no expert, but it certainly seems like the right way to go about it. Even if you had enough yeast, I'd suggest a small starter just to make sure the yeast is viable, depending on how old it is.

Thanks Yooper.
Now on to phase II. I collected .75 gallon of wort and cooled it. I suppose I can just decant the liquid off of my washed yeast and pour the new wort into it. I don't have a stir plate, nor stoppers for the mason jars so I'll cover with sanitized foil.

Presumably within 2 days I'll have a good krausen, at which time I'll pitch the whole deal into the fermenter with the wort from the no-chill cube.

Sound alright?

Yes, I took it from the BK after about 30 minutes of boiling, and plan to add it to the drained slurry from the washed yeast.

Back