First Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrritableGourmet

Reaction score
I started a hard cider the other day and, while waiting for that to finish, got curious and decided to try a mead. I got the Joe's Quick Blueberry Mead recipe and modified it to fit the two gallon water cooler jug I got at a garage sale for $1 (used once, given a nice long C-Brite bath).

I got a 3 lb jar of honey from WallyWorld for $7 and decided to use light brown sugar to make up the other pound and hopefully add some flavor. I used a 96 oz grape juice and a gallon of spring water to cut back on the grapeness (my wife hates flavored wines/beers). Mixed it all together, pitched some champagne yeast (Lalvin EC-1118) and 2 tsp yeast nutrient (I'm a bit of an overkill kinda guy), and sealed it up with an airlock.

15 minutes in and I'm getting a bubble about every 25 sec. Hopefully I'll have a nice dry mead by month's end. Given that it will supposedly improve with age, I'm thinking of bottling some as Christmas presents for my family.

Also, if I want it to be sweeter, what's your recommendations on the use of Campden tablets/sorbate in meads?

same as wine - make sure it's done fermenting, add in the stuff, wait a day or so, and backsweeten - I used both grape juice and honey to back sweeten JQGM.

I just started this Friday and I would like to give bottles away as gifts for Christmas. If I wait to bottle until the last minute (I'm planning on Sparkolloiding the first week of December), it should still continue to age in the bottles, right? I know bulk aging is the best, but I want to give it away and I don't think my family would mind storing it for a special occasion down the road.

Also, the airlock was getting all foamy (I used vodka, so it wasn't contaminated) so I lowered the level a bit by taking a hydro sample while cleaning the airlock. Down to 1.073 from 1.088 and tasty as hell.

yeah, it'll age either in the bottle or in the carboy...

by Christmas it will still be young, but I haven't tried your recipe, so I can't comment on how it will taste.

they say JQGM is drinkable in 6 weeks, but I found it to be quite hot still.

regardless, you're on your way - and I'm sure your family and friends will enjoy your created beverage - especially if they can wait longer.

I would think about giving it out Christmas after next. Who really wants a present they need to wait a year to taste. This year give them a bottle of something else.
Patience and time make great mead and cider. Too soon and it's just not right.

Back