30% efficiency. Should I dump it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm1217

Reaction score
Well... batch #3 was a disaster. Used a rolling pin and hammer to crush grains. Lesson learned, that will never happen again.

1 lb Pilsner
1 lb red wheat
OG 1.022 @ 60F

What's the chances of this turning out drinkable? Or is my yeast basically swimming in Bud Light? (Fortunately only a 1 gallon batch if this turns out to be garbage) Thanks for the feedback.

Well... batch #3 was a disaster. Used a rolling pin and hammer to crush grains. Lesson learned, that will never happen again.

1 lb Pilsner
1 lb red wheat
OG 1.022 @ 60F

What's the chances of this turning out drinkable? Or is my yeast basically swimming in Bud Light? (Fortunately only a 1 gallon batch if this turns out to be garbage) Thanks for the feedback.

Id boil a little DME in a small amt of water, cool it and add it to bring OG up to where I wanted it. Not too late to fix it.

You already paid for it right, if you don't have to buy anything else.....Ferment it. Assuming you adjusted your gravity reading by temp, It'll be a low ABV beer, so what. Lots of low gravity beers out there. Guinness is only 3% ya know. Since this starts so low It'll likely finish low, (1.005 ish) probably looking at somewhere around 2.5% Ish ABV. Could be tasty ya never know....I say try it:)

Yeah it's fermenting with Nottingham, in a 61 F basement. Will let it sit and hope for the best while expecting the worst.

I crush my grains with a can good if I need to, no problems. Glad my lhbs does have a mill. Was this extract or AG? My guess AG since an extract would be right on target.

I crush my grains with a can good if I need to, no problems. Glad my lhbs does have a mill. Was this extract or AG? My guess AG since an extract would be right on target.

All grain. I figured it would be low. Just not sure if 30% efficiency means it will taste like regular beer, or significantly "watered down, etc.

My wife and my BMC friends would like that, but I would probably add half a pound of DME to bring it up to about 1.045. ...Or 1/4 lb DME and 1/4 lb sugar to make a little dryer beer.

Guinness is only 3% ya know. QUOTE]

Not the proper stuff .. the new mid strenth Guinness is only 2.8% but real
Draught Guinness is 4.1-4.3% depending on what type.

When I was in Ireland a couple years ago, the factory tour explained that they only made it to 3% because the way the tax structure works there, they are taxed on ABV. I was also told this is the traditional strength it is brewed to.

The fermentation on this batch is very active, kinda surprising. I guess the handfull of raspberries that were added at flameout must have helped.

dm1217 said:
All the grains were in a 20 minute protein rest (120-130F) and a 60 minute sacch rest (145-155F)

This is for a wit, or something along those lines? I thought you generally needed higher temps to gelatinize the starches in raw wheat, in order for them to convert.

This is for a wit, or something along those lines? I thought you generally needed higher temps to gelatinize the starches in raw wheat, in order for them to convert.

The goal was raspberry wheat. If my mash temps/lengths are way off, suggestions would be much appreciated.

For my American wheat beers I do a similar mash . 20 minutes at 122 followed by 60 minutes at 150. It's worked pretty well but I am thinking about dropping the protein rest. I think it might be hurting my head retention.

In case you are planning on saving the slurry you might want to note that the viability will be lower with yeast saved from beer fermented with fruit.

Here is an analysis:

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/how-fruit-effects-yeast-viability.html

Results/conclusion: Verrry dry. Stale. No rapsberry flavor whatsoever. These bottles are going down the drain.

Back