Partial Mash O.G. in Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
I'm looking at doing my first partial mash this weekend using a witbier recipe from 'Brewing Classic Styles'

7lb wheat LME
.25lb Munich LME

1lb Pilsner malt
1.13lb Flaked oats

1.2oz Hallertau 60mins

This is a 7 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch.
I set up Beersmith to do a single infusion, medium body, no mash out. Its telling me to mash in 2.66qts water at 166F for 60 mins. Problem is that its giving me an original gravity estimate of 1.065 and a pre-boil gravity of 1.046. The 1.065 is way out of style and the pre-boil gravity is closer to what the O.G. should be at pitching. Do I have something set wrong.

See page 35 or 41. Recipes in that book are actually larger than exactly 5 gallons. Somewhere around 5.5 gallons - or even a little more counting the wort lost in trub. This is so you end up with 5.5 gallons going to the fermenter and 5 gallons to bottle.

My LHBS sells LME in 7lb tubs....seems a shame to waste that last 1/4 lb lol. But you are right, I forgot that the recipes in this book are a 7gal boil leaving 6 gal in the kettle and hopefully leaving you 5 gallons at racking. I changed final volume to 6 gal. and if I reduce the 7lbs of wheat LME to 6.75, I get 1.050...which is spot on to what the book predicts. Thanks for setting me straight!

Ya, I wouldn't waste it either! I like big beers. I'm not much of a session beer brewer! Good luck, that sounds like a nice recipe.

Latest posts

Back