Gluten Free Buckwheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeirv

Reaction score
I made a gluten free beer using malted buckwheat and rice syrup solids. It was in the primary fermenter for about two weeks and has been in the secondary for five days. It is still fermenting but it looks more like the color of country time lemonade than beer.

I am attempting to make this for someone who has celiac's and likes lighter beer.

Has anyone else brewed anything similar and if so did it come out ok?

Did you roast the grains at all? How much of your beer is buckwheat and how much is RSS?

I have about 10lbs of malted buckwheat that I've been sitting on, but I haven't used it yet.

Yep I've done something similar, you can follow what I did here,
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/malting-gluten-free-grains-135919/index9.html

This is getting even better with age, and when I finish painting the house and can get back into my kitchen I plan on doing more of it.
Unfortunately I only made 11 bottles of this and the last one is in the fridge for tonight, if I remember I'll take a picture of it.

Can you post your recipe?

Did you roast the grains at all? How much of your beer is buckwheat and how much is RSS?

I have about 10lbs of malted buckwheat that I've been sitting on, but I haven't used it yet.

If you do a mash/decoction or whatever on this beer, let me know. I want to maybe come for that and check it out.

I did roast the buckwheat but very lightly. I only roasted it long enough so that it was completely dry and crispy. I am thinking that I probably should have roasted it a little longer just to get a little more of a golden color to the beer.

It seems to be clearing up nicely in the secondary and the fermentation is slowing down. It does seem to be turning more gold than yellow now.

Here is the recipe that I used:
3 lbs. malted buckwheat
1 cup corn sugar
1 oz. Saaz hops
2 oz. Liberty hops
4.8 lb. rice syrup solids
1 pkg. Danstar ale yeast

I am going to just give it some more time and then bottle it and see what happens.

If you do a mash/decoction or whatever on this beer, let me know. I want to maybe come for that and check it out.

I'm taking the week off between Christmas and New Years, so I think I'll end up brewing then. If you can't make it, I'll just have to share my notes and the beer.

Latest posts

Back