How much to dryhop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
I tasted my first AG/SMaSH the other day after tasting a sample and I certainly think it needs dryhopping. Im curious how much is "normal"? I'm thinking either 1 or 2 oz......recipe was: 10# Maris Otter, 3 oz Cascade (60, 15, 5 min additions), US-05 yeast.

For pale ales, 1oz per 5g. That will get you SNPA level hoppiness. Double that if you likes the hops aroma.

For IPA, sky's the limit. Just make sure to dry hop after the fermentation is finished. Don't want the CO2 to scrub the aroma from the beer.

Sorta OT: SMASH pale ales and IPAs are a little bleh. For me, you just have to have some crystal malt in there (for interesting backbone to the hops) and a # of wheat (to maintain a nice head and lacing). At least the crystal, though.

Thanks for the info passedpawn. Its my first AG so im just hoping it turns out drinkable. I have the rest of my life to tweak recipes, which I am very excited just thinking about....

Back