How big should my kettle be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mximus11

Reaction score
I have been doing extract but am really wanting to move into partial mash. How big of a pot do I need. The one I have now is about 4 gallons.

Do you see yourself ever moving towards all grain? Or 10 gallon batches? Or 90minute + boils?

I'd say a minimum size would be around 7.5 or 8 gallons just to be able to do full volume boils for 5 gallon batches. I went with a 15G/60qt pot and I've been very happy with it.

Ideally, you want at least an 8 gallon pot, to allow yourself to do full boils, but you can do a mini mash with your 4 gallon, as long as you have another kettle or container to mash in, just top off to 5 gallons at the end as if you used extract.

you need two pots. one big enough to hold 1.5 quarts per pound of grain. the second pot should be big enough to hold 2 gallons. then combine the two pots into one. if you can do this and still have enough room to account for the hot break then you are good.

you need two pots. one big enough to hold 1.5 quarts per pound of grain. the second pot should be big enough to hold 2 gallons. then combine the two pots into one. if you can do this and still have enough room to account for the hot break then you are good.

The bigger volume of wort you're boiling, the better the beer will be. Full boils are a huge increase in quality.

Hmmm... Turns out my wallet has a bottom and I don't want to drop 100 bucks on a pot right now. I would love to eventuallt go all grain but the budget disagrees right now. Oh well...extract has done fine for me so far.

Hmmm... Turns out my wallet has a bottom and I don't want to drop 100 bucks on a pot right now. I would love to eventuallt go all grain but the budget disagrees right now. Oh well...extract has done fine for me so far.

Don't get hung up on stainless steel for the pot material. Aluminum stock pots make great boil kettles and are much cheaper. My 15G was under $50 from amazon a few years ago. Deals can be found, you just need to look. :mug:

Get an aluminum pot if you are short on cash. I got a 32 qt from Wal-Mart for $25. It'll do until I can afford something better.

So? You can get a 40 qt aluminum pot for less than $40.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/40-qt-standard-weight-aluminum-stockpot/40760378.html

The bigger pot will allow you to do full boils with your extract, which will give you better beer. It also means you don't have to replace the pot if you do decide to go AG at some point.

I'd highly suggest a 15 gallon pot. It's perfect for 5-10 gallon boils. My friend has a 10 gallon that I've used and I just prefer to have more space and not worry about boilover.

15 gallon all the way!

Back