Siphoning After Cold Crash...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
So I just threw my carboy into my keezer to cold crash it for a few days before kegging...however I've realized that siphoning might become an issue. My keezer will be at the same level as the keg, so how will I get a good siphon going? Won't removing the carboy disturb the trub and negate the benefits of cold crashing?

What are my options here?

the trub formed via cold crashing is much harder to disturb than say at room temp. i move my fermenters after cold crashing every time i do it... as long as you arent swirling it all over the place it should be fine. the sedimentation is so solid you can usually just drop the siphon right on top of the cake and it wont disturb it.

Even if you do disturb the trub by moving to a higher elevation, it settles out very quickly. Move it, wait 30mins and rack.

You guys ever run into issues of suck back through the airlock when you use BetterBottles? I would think the change in temp would suck the sides of the carboy in pretty good?

+1 on just moving it carefully. I do this every time without issue. Just move it really slow and try not to swirl.

Before cold crashing, I remove the airlock and stopper, sanitize the opening and put a piece of sanitized foil over it.

+1 for moving carefully and then waiting 30 mins, and...

+1 for taking the airlock off the BB before moving.

When I cold crash I switch from the 3 piece to the S-Shaped Airlock and it doesn't suck it back into the fermenter.

I left the airlock on and it sucked some of it back in...not a big deal I always use starsan.

Guess I'll just be a little careful when taking it out. It's good to hear the trub will really be compacted down there, I have a thing about getting every last drop of good beer out of the carboy but hate having the extra trub getting into the keg...

if you put the right amount of water into the airlock (talking about 3 piece), it won't suck water in.

I'm pretty confident that I use the "right" amount of water in a three piece airlock and it can still get sucked in when the temperature drops.

I didn't come up with this suggestion myself, I heard Jamil say it in a podcast. He tends to know what he's talking about.:D

i'd suggest experimenting with it yourself....if you put just the right amount in and suck on the end that goes into the stopper, the fluid will rise to a point and then air will pop thru the floating piece before the fluid makes it to the top. at least it works with mine....YMMV

i'd suggest experimenting with it yourself....if you put just the right amount in and suck on the end that goes into the stopper, the fluid will rise to a point and then air will pop thru the floating piece before the fluid makes it to the top. at least it works with mine....YMMV

Why are you sucking on airlocks??:cross:

Back