some basic ?S

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makingitgood

Reaction score
how much sugar should i use to make 1.5L liters of beer just 2 test it. i was not sure so i just put 2 table spoons in? and how much yeast? can you get sick from drinking a bad beer? and how long do i have to wait till it does its thing i just put the beer in a jar with a cloth rubber baned to the top.... i read that it will take any were from 5-7days, and it is ready when the yeast dies/clears??? i am a noob and just tryed it. not like it costed me nothing, we grow are own barley on are farm :D

please post fast,

thanks David

heh heh.... ummmm..... I'm not sure what you've read about brewing... what you're proposing might work, with some modification.... try checking out www.howtobrew.com... cuz what your proposing wouldn't give you beer... it would give you alcohol, but not beer... good luck... :)

thats fast lol... so i could get sick, or die, but i will just try a little bit for the 1st day.....

lol maybe... then i could just have a hoes from the tank in the cab.... lol that would be fun

makingitgood said:
thats fast lol... so i could get sick, or die, but i will just try a little bit for the 1st day.....
It only takes a little bit of methanol to cause blindness, brain damage, and/or death.

While I don't remember the specifics I do believe that "Jake leg" resulted from some medicinal beverage that people were consuming in lou of alcohol (prohibition). I believe that the chemical substance in the beverage also caused... impotence... *gasps*

Anyhow, consumption of methyl alcohol can cause blindness and even death.. I wouldn't be trying to ferment regular old barley seeds with some random yeast at who knows what temperature.. you could end up with some nasty and dangerous results. I do know that beer fermentation at temps approaching 80 F and upwards produces more fusel alcohols (paint thinner type stuff that causes wicked hangovers and is probably bad for your health). Besides, you aren't producing beer anyways.. beer is made from malted barley and hops.. you're producing who knows what. I wouldn't drink it without running it through some sort of still (at least a couple times through a pot still or once through a reflux type still - of course moonshing is illegal).

Bottom line: it just doesn't sound like a good idea, even if the results were safe to drink they'd probably taste very very bad (as in worse than steel reserve and natural ice combined and served piss warm).

edited because i can't spell

well ok but it smells just like beer now and looks to be getting clearer than it was 3.5 days ago?? and there is a white powderie substance on the bottom of the jar? well thats what it looks like... but that is all notmal right?

if you do it, pour some in a spoon, light it if it burn red you are dead(if you drink it) if it is blue the your are cool. But hell this is beer not white lightning (and no I don't know how to make it.... :rolleyes: )

If you only used corn sugar, then it's not beer at all. It'll taste horrible and make you feel even worse. Did you use any malt? And what kind of yeast did you use? How big is this jar?

DAVID: you have to be careful. You're very likely going to make yourself very ill with whatever concoction you have in that jar. It is definately not beer. It will probably have some alcohol in it, but you'd never catch any of us trying to drink what you have made.

True: making beer requires only water, barley and yeast.

False: throwing water, raw barley, and yeast into a jar with some table sugar will make beer.

The barley has to go through some processing to make it ready for beer making. I am SURE your barley has not gone through this process.

Then, everything has to be sanitized reall REALLY well.

Then you cook everything together.

Then you put it in a jar with yeast.

Oh... and I would suggest waiting until you are a little older. I don't know how old you are, but I SERIOUSLY doubt that you're 25 like your user profile suggests.

No one can stop you from trying to make beer, even if you are only 12, but you should listen to everyone here and really read some more on the subject (there are many resources on the internet) before you try to drink anything you are making.

Back