Can I use lager yeast with Mr. Beer Classic American Light kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzie14

Reaction score
My basement is a constant 50 degrees this time of year, so I understand that fermenting an ale there is not a good idea. I'd like to brew the Classic American Light that came with my Mr. Beer kit. Can I use a lager yeast with this kit, so that I can ferment it at 50 degrees? Will the resulting beer be much different, or any good?

That would be good, it will just take a bit longer, and I imagine a fresh smack pack would be close to a healthy pitch rate for that size and strength wort. Let it cool all the way down to 50 before you pitch, give it plenty of time to finish and you can lager in the bottles if need be

Thanks jbsg02 for the info. How long should I ferment before bottling, and how long should I condition in the bottles before drinking? I believe I can lager in the refrigerator, but let me know if this is correct. Also, I imagine that the yeast pack will be for a 5 gallon batch, and Mr. Beer brews 2 gallons. Is this OK?

fozzie14 said:
My basement is a constant 50 degrees this time of year, so I understand that fermenting an ale there is not a good idea. I'd like to brew the Classic American Light that came with my Mr. Beer kit. Can I use a lager yeast with this kit, so that I can ferment it at 50 degrees? Will the resulting beer be much different, or any good?

I think it's a great idea, but have you considered using the LY at higher ale temps? and have done this once myself. It's what I believe is known as a 'steam' beer. It was developed in California and Is a uniquely American concoction.

BTW they are delicious!

a smack pack of lager yeast is nowhere near enough yeast to pitch at a recommended rate for 5 gallons. A fresh smack pack or vial will probably even be underpitching in 2 gallons, but will probably be close enough to get decent results. Time can vary for lagers, but it should be winding down within a couple weeks, at that point, raising the temp up towards 60 is common to help the yeast stay active. After that you can bottle and carbonate as normal before putting in the fridge to lager.

Thanks jbsg02 for the info. How long should I ferment before bottling, and how long should I condition in the bottles before drinking? I believe I can lager in the refrigerator, but let me know if this is correct. Also, I imagine that the yeast pack will be for a 5 gallon batch, and Mr. Beer brews 2 gallons. Is this OK?

Give it 3 weeks in the LBK at 50*F with a gradual warming (over a day or so) to diacetyl rest at 65*F or so for the last few days of fermentation.

Do you have a place where you can crash the temp down into the 30's for lagering?

If you can lager after bottling, I can put the bottles in the fridge for lagering at 38 degrees F.

Back