English Pale Ale - a little bit yeasty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
I just fermented an English pale ale for 7 days. The last ale I made was a little bit yeasty. So, one day after the airlock stopped bubbling (today), I used a syphon and transferred the ale to a 2ndary. Will this help? How long should I keep it in the 2ndary? Should I forget about the 2ndary and just bottle it tomorrow? Thanks for any help!

I've been following the 1-2-3 rule, and it's working for me.
1 week in primary
2 weeks in secondary (and that's 14 days, not just 2nd week)
3 weeks conditioning in the bottle.

Alternately you could have just left it in the primary until your ale cleared sufficiently and bottled from there.

YMMV

Skrimpy said:
I just fermented an English pale ale for 7 days. The last ale I made was a little bit yeasty. So, one day after the airlock stopped bubbling (today), I used a syphon and transferred the ale to a 2ndary. Will this help? How long should I keep it in the 2ndary? Should I forget about the 2ndary and just bottle it tomorrow? Thanks for any help!

Hey there and welcome. I grew up right outside of Albany. Leave it in the secondary for a few weeks. Next time don't use a secondary for an ale just leave it on the yeast cake.

Funny thing. I saved about a cup and a half for a gravity reading (tomorrow), and tasted a little bit, and it was really good...it was a little carbonated on it's own. I have no doubts that with a little bit of priming sugar it will carbonate immediately and may not need to condition for more than a day or two (the yeast was really active, the lock started bubbling within 2 hours). I think I will bottle it next weekend...just because I want to give my brother and brother in-law a bottle Sunday.

Dr Vorlauf said:
Hey there and welcome. I grew up right outside of Albany. Leave it in the secondary for a few weeks. Next time don't use a secondary for an ale just leave it on the yeast cake.

Where did you grow up? I've been here about 10 years now, I moved up from Binghamton after school. I racked to the 2ndary because I have heard that even with ales if you can get a better, clearer beer by getting rid of the cake after the bubbling slows to less than twice a minute. So I decided to give it a try. I wish I still had one of my previous ales to compare it to.

Hey whats up. A hydrometer is really a fundamental brewing tool. Even if your temps are off for a reading, you will know at least whether fermentation is done or not, or somehow stuck. If it is stuck or incomplete, your bottled beer may explode when they begin to ferment again. That being said, I am currently experimenting, as many are here, with whether a secondary is needed. Its seems to be popular opinion that the yeast cake won't really effect flavor even in extremely long cases. It actually needs to be there for at LEAST a week(10-12 days better) to remove certain undesirable flavors from the fermented beer. A beer solely in primary will clear out in a few weeks. Also, your beer is saved the exposure to oxygen when you rack to secondary. That's not to say my secondaried beers are great too, I see(taste) no real oxidation problems from the racking process. It seems that the aggitation caused by racking may help settle out particulate matter quicker and possibly more completely. Try it yourself and see what you like. I'm becoming a fan of primary only(3wk primary-3wk bottle condition), with the secondary reserved for strong beers that need conditioning. Happy brewing and welcome.

count barleywine said:
Hey whats up. A hydrometer is really a fundamental brewing tool. Even if your temps are off for a reading, you will know at least whether fermentation is done or not, or somehow stuck. If it is stuck or incomplete, your bottled beer may explode when they begin to ferment again. That being said, I am currently experimenting, as many are here, with whether a secondary is needed. Its seems to be popular opinion that the yeast cake won't really effect flavor even in extremely long cases. It actually needs to be there for at LEAST a week(10-12 days better) to remove certain undesirable flavors from the fermented beer. A beer solely in primary will clear out in a few weeks. Also, your beer is saved the exposure to oxygen when you rack to secondary. That's not to say my secondaried beers are great too, I see(taste) no real oxidation problems from the racking process. It seems that the aggitation caused by racking may help settle out particulate matter quicker and possibly more completely. Try it yourself and see what you like. I'm becoming a fan of primary only(3wk primary-3wk bottle condition), with the secondary reserved for strong beers that need conditioning. Happy brewing and welcome.

Thank goodness someone on this thread knows about something. I was worried americans didn't know anything about hydrometers. Don't brew without one. Never trust an airlock as a means of when fermentation has finsihed.

Luck will let you survive a 1 2 3 regime. However often your wort should stay on the yeast cake for a while to"clean up" the wort. Diacetyl rests. Depends on the yeast. If you don't know about diacetyl rests, look them up.:cross:

Merry Xmas

Don't worry, relax, have a homebrew. I've have taken two readings. I'm going to take another after the 2ndary.

Skrimpy said:
Funny thing. I saved about a cup and a half for a gravity reading (tomorrow), and tasted a little bit, and it was really good...it was a little carbonated on it's own. I have no doubts that with a little bit of priming sugar it will carbonate immediately and may not need to condition for more than a day or two (the yeast was really active, the lock started bubbling within 2 hours). I think I will bottle it next weekend...just because I want to give my brother and brother in-law a bottle Sunday.
The beer may have tasted a bit "fizzy" on it's own, but there's no way it's going to carb up in a few days.

Let the beer condition fer a few days in the secondary.

Move the beer to a bottling bucket and add your 2/3 cup of corn sugar (mixed well with 2 cups of boiled/cooled water). Make sure the sugar mix is thoroughly blended.
Set those bottles somewhere around 72 degrees and foreget about them for 3 weeks.

The yeast cake if your beer's friend, leave it on it and let it clear up. Taking it off the yeast cake so early is asking for trouble.

The yeast cake if your beer's friend, leave it on it and let it clear up. Taking it off the yeast cake so early is asking for trouble.

Well, I am sure different beers and different brew conditions for each beer determine what you should or shouldn't do, but this beer turned out absolutely fantastic. I can't imagine what it should have tasted like if I did it wrong by taking it off the yeast cake too early. My brother and brother in-law had to wait several more weeks to get their bottles but they appreciated the wait. I let it sit in the 2ndary for about 4 weeks. Then it sat in the bottles 5 more. Its already all gone. :( Hands down best ale I've had. Can't wait for the next one. It's been in a bottle about a week now...3-4 to go...I probably won't be able to control myself and start cracking them next weekend...

Back