Will be moving to secodnary soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvav8or

Reaction score
Quick update for anyone who cares. I brewed on Saturday the 17th and the SG was 1.038-1.040. Now on tuesday it is 1.024 and if it remains the same for another two days I will move to my secondary. I drank the sample after I took the reading and it actually tasted like beer and had a beautiful brown color, I am so stoked and can't wait to drink my first brew.

cvav8or

What is the recipe? I'm a total beginner as well, but based on what I have read around here, it seems like you should be targeting a final gravity of around 1.010. Assuming no additional fermentation takes place, it seems like you got pretty low attenuation.

But again, total beginner here... :D I hope I'm wrong.

You are not near finishing this ferment. You want to be close to 25% of OG, that is, about 1.010 on a 1.040 beer. At 24, your beer will be cloyingly sweet and not very alcoholic (about 2.1% abv)

Be patient, your yeast has work to do. Three days is kinda quick to even go near the room where your beer is.

It was a bit premature fo me to state I will rack to secondary soon. After I posted this I did a bit more research on this site, also I placed my airlock back on as my krausen is now under control thanks to the blow off tube. And although I thought I wasnt getting anymore bubbles since I really couldnt see them in the blow off tube it's back to bubbling every few seconds again through the airlock so I know fermentation is not complete. I will continue to take SG readings starting again on Turkey day and once it hits 1.010 I will rack to the secondary. Thanks again for all the help and please keep it coming, I am already obsessed with this hobby now and am half way through the papazian book as well. needless to say I very much want this brew to come out great. I know it will be a huge step but I really want to do a Rogue Dead Guy clone for my next batch as I am hooked on that stuff. Think it is too big of a step for a beginner?

P.S. What sort of alcohol content can I expect from an initial SG of 1.038ish?

cvav8or

cvav8or said:
. I know it will be a huge step but I really want to do a Rogue Dead Guy clone for my next batch as I am hooked on that stuff. Think it is too big of a step for a beginner?

cvav8or

My rogue Kit from AHS is being delivered today....just a basic extract kit, and it will be my 2nd brew.....I don't think it will be too much to handle for new guys like us.....

I say go for it!!! Mine will be brewed Sat or Sun....:tank:

And I may crack open my first wheat beer also....:drunk:

RDWHAHB

Chad

I brewed on Saturday the 17th and I'm not even going to bother taking a gravity reading until at least Sunday the 25th. In my (limited) experience, the bubbling is not a good indicator of finished fermentation.

cvav8or said:
It was a bit premature fo me to state I will rack to secondary soon. After I posted this I did a bit more research on this site, also I placed my airlock back on as my krausen is now under control thanks to the blow off tube. And although I thought I wasnt getting anymore bubbles since I really couldnt see them in the blow off tube it's back to bubbling every few seconds again through the airlock so I know fermentation is not complete. I will continue to take SG readings starting again on Turkey day and once it hits 1.010 I will rack to the secondary. Thanks again for all the help and please keep it coming, I am already obsessed with this hobby now and am half way through the papazian book as well. needless to say I very much want this brew to come out great. I know it will be a huge step but I really want to do a Rogue Dead Guy clone for my next batch as I am hooked on that stuff. Think it is too big of a step for a beginner?

P.S. What sort of alcohol content can I expect from an initial SG of 1.038ish?

cvav8or

My Dead Guy clone (in the pull-down recipe link under my avatar) is easy and you could do it. Let me know if you have any questions about it. I can walk you through it if something is unclear.

[QUOTE I will continue to take SG readings starting again on Turkey day and once it hits 1.010 I will rack to the secondary. [/QUOTE]

Please dont take a gravity reading on day 5 of your brew. Yeast and patience are your friends.

Yeast has other things to do than just get your beer from OG to FG.

I know you are in a hurry. Don't be. Relax and wait at least to the middle of next week. Do some shopping this weekend and wrap some of the gifts you buy. Get your Christmas decorations out. Get your oil changed. Anything! Leave your beer alone for a while.

Listen to Teu1003. you need THREE DAYS in a row of the same gravity reading, near 1.010, before its safe to move to secondary.

ALWAYS give the beer at least a FULL WEEK in primary, in addition to 3 days of consistent gravity readings that are close to your target final gravity before doing anything.

The only people that need more patience than a Jedi...is a homebrewer ;)

I'm just so darn excited. But I know you're all right so I haven't taken another sample and won't do so until at least next wed night. Oh and there is still activity in my airlock which gives me a twinkle in my eye everytime I open my pantry door to get something. Ok, I am going to try to relax, not worry and have a home... I mean commercial brew for now.

cvav8or

Patience is essential in this beer thing. I'm pretty much a noob too but the longer you can wait the better things will turn out. I mean don't leave your beer in primary for 6 months or anything, but your recipe should have a target final gravity and the beer should be down there somewhere before the move to secondary (if you bother with that at all - i just tried some wheat that went straight to bottles and it's clear and excellent tasting - but that's a wheat characteristic, i think).

cvav8or said:
I'm just so darn excited. But I know you're all right so I haven't taken another sample and won't do so until at least next wed night. Oh and there is still activity in my airlock which gives me a twinkle in my eye everytime I open my pantry door to get something. Ok, I am going to try to relax, not worry and have a home... I mean commercial brew for now.

cvav8or

If you're excited now, just wait until it's been sitting in bottles for a few weeks and you finally crack one open...now, there's some excitement! Satisfaction, too. :mug:

the patience is a tough thing... almost done with batch 1. As in only 4 bombers left. Waited a day less then 3 weeks. Was all set to go until the wife asked if we could try some. Guess it only took a little nudge to get me off the cliff. Although by 4 weeks of bottle conditioning it was even better!

Fermented an oatmeal stout on the top of the yeast cake of the first batch (an irish red) it tasted yummy when i moved it to secondary the other day. It had a very high gravity of 1.021 but it's been in there for 4 weeks so it ain't getting lower! guessing the oats help with that? it's within range from the base recipie i started with...

just wish i had more space for more batches!

Back