Active Fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djellenik

Reaction score
I am a newbie and am only working on my 3rd batch. I've had mixed results getting the yeast pitched correctly. How long after pitching the yeast should I see active bubbling from the air lock. Also how often between bubbles to consider "active" I am using Montrachet Yeast.

Yeast kicks immediately but active fermentation can take between a couple of hours and multiple days. Air lock bubbles are not a good indicator of fermentation. Hydrometer readings will give a clear answer.

I've only been doing this for about 2 years now, but out of all the batches of beer and cider I've done, I've had "active fermentation" meaning bubbles rapidly going through the airlock within 5-10 hours of pitching the yeast.

I've never done hydrometer readings to measure fermentation, I've done afew to calculate ABV though.

I let all my stuff sit and age for at least 4 weeks if it's beer, and about 3 months if it's cider, before I bottle it. I'd be surprised if anything is still fermenting after 3 months!

Back