Is it still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it still good?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

phoenixs4r

Reaction score
So, I was randomly browsing the free section of craiglist when I saw an ad for 10 free 1/2BBL kegs that were going away.

My girlfriend was nice enough to go check it out, and 9/10 of them were claimed by a recycler, with the 10th being left as it was still full and the guy didn't know how to empty it, so my GF snagged it. :tank:

So, it's a full 1/2BBL keg of newcastle summer ale. it appears to have been stored outside of the freezer, possibly near a stove, as it has a bunch of grease on it.

Thoughts on wether or not its worth buying a keg tap to dispense it? None of my friends have one that I'm aware of, so I'd be buying one, SOLELY for the purpose of this ONE keg, and they go for about 20 bucks on craigslist. My get says this beer is probably going to taste like **** and it's not worth the effort.

Thoughts?

Well, its summer ale, so I'd imagine they received it at the beginning of summer.

Since it requires purchasing something you don't think you'll ever use again for beer that is most likely not very tasty at this point (and especially since it isn't exactly hard to find beer or rare or anything) I'd say don't bother. This isn't some mystery homebrew someone found in their basement, it's widely available commercial brew that has been stored poorly. I'd be concerned that the keg is not legally obtained, though.

Back