Banana Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread caught my attention about a week ago, so I decided to put this on my list of things to make next. Well, now I'm committed. I just picked up 15 lbs of perfect over ripe bananas at a farmers market. Can't wait to try it.

Hey...

I racked my second batch (4 gallons) onto 4 lbs of raisins and nothing happened. So I poured a packet of wine yeast on top.

Still nothing...

I'm tempted to rehydrate another packet and try again, but before I do I wondered if there was something stupid I'm not thinking of. There is no airlock activity (glass carboy and stopper with S airlock) and not bubbles rising, no "krausen" (or whatever the wine equivalent is) or anything. The yeast seems to have dropped down on top of the raisins in a small patch.

I kind of expected this thing to start up again like crazy. I bought the yeast back in November IIRC and it's been stored in a fridge the whole time.

I made a 5 gallon batch, any idea around how much wine I'll need to top off with to replace the 5lbs of raisins?

No clues- I never measured or noticed.

Hey...

I racked my second batch (4 gallons) onto 4 lbs of raisins and nothing happened. So I poured a packet of wine yeast on top.

Still nothing...

I'm tempted to rehydrate another packet and try again, but before I do I wondered if there was something stupid I'm not thinking of. There is no airlock activity (glass carboy and stopper with S airlock) and not bubbles rising, no "krausen" (or whatever the wine equivalent is) or anything. The yeast seems to have dropped down on top of the raisins in a small patch.

I kind of expected this thing to start up again like crazy. I bought the yeast back in November IIRC and it's been stored in a fridge the whole time.

It's possible that you've reached the yeast strain's alcohol tolerance. What have your SG readings been?

No clues- I never measured or noticed.

It's possible that you've reached the yeast strain's alcohol tolerance. What have your SG readings been?

I have no idea. I wasn't planning on taking a reading until the raisins started finishing up. The last batch chugged through so well I figured it would be fine. It's entirely possible that this yeast has a lower limit. I *Think* I used Montrachet for the first batch, and this stuff is Cotes De Blanc.

Hopefully I'll get a few minutes this weekend to play with it. I gotta bust out the hydrometer for my IPA when I add dry hops and I want to check the IIPA that has stalled before I rack to a Fire Extinguisher and add Brett.

Well I took a reading at lunch. The hydrometer says 1.000. Too bad I don't know what the OG was. I kind of just threw the stuff in a bucket and let it rip.

On the plus side, it didn't taste too bad at all. Lightly sweet and with enough tartness to balance well. I'm not really a wine guy, but I could probably drink it as it is.

Bananas are simmering as I type. The house smells great. I can't believe I'll have to wait 2 years to drink the finished product, but I have a feeling it will be well worth it.

WesleyS said:
Bananas are simmering as I type. The house smells great. I can't believe I'll have to wait 2 years to drink the finished product, but I have a feeling it will be well worth it.

How many bananas did it take you to meet the required amount? I only asked because I have a bunch of frozen bananas and no scale

Chuckabrewski said:
How many bananas did it take you to meet the required amount? I only asked because I have a bunch of frozen bananas and no scale

I'm sorry, I wish I could help you out, but I didn't count them. I'm doing a 4 gallon batch. If I was just doing a one gallon batch I would probably remember, but after chopping 15 lbs of bananas I have not even a guess as to how many you would need. Sorry about that.

Found this link while comparing banana wine recipes in a few places.

http://www.bananas.org/f6/banana-wine-my-style-25.html

The poster suggests a method of treating the bananas using a pressure cooker and a packet of complete enzyme before fermentation which they claim hugely accelerates the clearing process. There's an explanation of the science behind this included in the post.

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how effective this might be? Really interested in trying to make this recipe but was wondering if there might be any means to reduce the wait-time until drinking. Obviously happy to wait as long as necessary mind but the method sounded interesting and might make the recipe more accessible to those wanting to try it but put off by the wait period?

I made a batch of this that I'll bottle soon. Started it back in December, and I just racked it for probably the last time. It's a crystal clear golden brown color. And it tastes fantastic -- a little hot from the 14% abv, but no bitter peel taste. Just tasty tasty banana flavor. Can't wait till the alcohol mellows out a bit!!

I tasted some of my first batch this weekend with friends. A couple of the ladies claimed it was "very alcoholic", but one of them noted an apple flavor as well and she drank the glass. I didn't think it was all that strong, but I am use to drinking RISs and Barleywines and whatnot and it was no worse than that (And these are the same ladies that don't mind knocking back some shots of schnapps and whatnot either...)

I reminded myself that the wine was made last fall and was still pretty young, but there was enough sediment due to not having a proper rack that I didn't want it to sit for several more months in the bottle. I actually thought it didn't taste too bad and I don't care much for wine at all.

The second batch is still sitting there with raisins added. Doing NOTHING! Why won't that thing ferment?? I can't believe the small amount of sulfites from the raisins is keeping the added yeast from working. I've added Montrachet and Cotes de Blanc after adding the raisins to try and get it going and it still does nothing.

Could it be the yeasts have met their alcohol tolerance levels?

I guess that may be possible. I did not take a OG reading and the recipe should not be any different from the fir st batch, which did well.

I guess I could try and find a yeast that will not have a problem at high alcohol levels and see what happens. I thought the wine yeasts should be fine, but maybe dropping them directly into a high alcohol environment is the problem.

What yeast could I pitch that might do well? Maybe also make a starter?

I scored 60 lbs of bananas for 15 bucks. I made 3 primary buckets of slurry so we'll see! I'll pitch it tomorrow morning.

What a mess, but it sure will be neat when it stops looking like cat puke!

Yeah, it's crazy to think that what looked like baby poo 8 months ago is a great clear golden brown color now. God I'm hoping it's mellowed by Christmas, I want to drink it so much!

Splashed from one bucket to the other, pitched and rolling. My garage smells wonderful.

Several questions, i only made cider and im attempting wine.
Im only going to attempt 1gal to start.
SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS BUT I WANA GET THIS RIGH!!!!
Nothing about readings is mentioned in the recipe? Should i bother taking a reading?
What yeast should i use?
It mentions putting an airlock on when going into secondary, but while its in primary is it cool to just put in a 5 gal bucket with a lid??
Thanks guys!! Im so excited to do this, this weekend.

cacaca86 said:
Several questions, i only made cider and im attempting wine.
Im only going to attempt 1gal to start.
SORRY FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS BUT I WANA GET THIS RIGH!!!!
Nothing about readings is mentioned in the recipe? Should i bother taking a reading?
What yeast should i use?
It mentions putting an airlock on when going into secondary, but while its in primary is it cool to just put in a 5 gal bucket with a lid??
Thanks guys!! Im so excited to do this, this weekend.

I just made this last month and its in secondary right now. I took a reading before fermentation and after primary. I like to keep track of that info. I used champagne yeast for this and it fermented down to .995 after primary. For primary I just had it in a five gallon bucket and for secondary I racked to a carboy with airlock. Hope all goes well for you. Enjoy the wonderful banana smell that takes over your house while you simmer the bananas.

WesleyS said:
I just made this last month and its in secondary right now. I took a reading before fermentation and after primary. I like to keep track of that info. I used champagne yeast for this and it fermented down to .995 after primary. For primary I just had it in a five gallon bucket and for secondary I racked to a carboy with airlock. Hope all goes well for you. Enjoy the wonderful banana smell that takes over your house while you simmer the bananas.

Wes,
Thanks so much! I cant wait. Did you just make the 1 gal. Batch? Thats what im doing...

cacaca86 said:
Wes,
Thanks so much! I cant wait. Did you just make the 1 gal. Batch? Thats what im doing...

Your welcome. I made four gallons.

Does this wine give off alot of heat in the taste? If so can i avoid tis by changing something? Also i was told not to leave on the peels due to pesticide? What are your thoughts?

cacaca86 said:
Does this wine give off alot of heat in the taste? If so can i avoid tis by changing something? Also i was told not to leave on the peels due to pesticide? What are your thoughts?

What was your recipe for one gallon? Do you remember how many bananas you used?

For the people making 5-6 gallon batches, what kind of a pot do you need for that many bananas? I'm having trouble visualizing it. I have a large mesh bag I've used for MIAB that can hold 10 pounds of grain comfortably in my 4 gallon stock pot. Would that be sufficient? Has anyone tried straining during the first rack instead of after the boil? I know it'd be a PITB, but I'm not sure I can strain 21 pounds of banana all at once.

Homercidal said:
I guess that may be possible. I did not take a OG reading and the recipe should not be any different from the fir st batch, which did well.

I guess I could try and find a yeast that will not have a problem at high alcohol levels and see what happens. I thought the wine yeasts should be fine, but maybe dropping them directly into a high alcohol environment is the problem.

What yeast could I pitch that might do well? Maybe also make a starter?

I'd follow Jack Keller's instructions for a stuck fermentation. Use champaign yeast and make a starter, start by hydrating yeast and slowly add must prior to pitching. I've had stuck ferments and this helps. Keep us posted.

ok, this is definitely something on the list. After reading most of the thread how could you not grow curious just to taste this? I tried ed's apple wine a few years back and it was amazing.

I used two mesh bags and a turkey fryer pot (7-8 gallons) for my 5 gallon batch. Barely enough room.
Radegast said:
For the people making 5-6 gallon batches, what kind of a pot do you need for that many bananas? I'm having trouble visualizing it. I have a large mesh bag I've used for MIAB that can hold 10 pounds of grain comfortably in my 4 gallon stock pot. Would that be sufficient? Has anyone tried straining during the first rack instead of after the boil? I know it'd be a PITB, but I'm not sure I can strain 21 pounds of banana all at once.

I made a 6 gallon batch in my 8+ gallon turkey fryer pot. It was filled to the top. You could always do two split batches.

LazyEye said:
ok, this is definitely something on the list. After reading most of the thread how could you not grow curious just to taste this? I tried ed's apple wine a few years back and it was amazing.

Whats the recipe for that? Sounds good..

I started with this:

banana-wine-makins-55745.jpg

Did this:

cooking-bananas-for-wine-55746.jpg

and this:

banana-slurry-bags-55747.jpg

and made a couple of these:

banana-wine-on-table-55748.jpg

I was just at the store. I weighed some bananas. I had no idea how dense they were! One bunch is 3 pounds? This won't be nearly as hard to fit in one pot as I thought!

Yea the bananas I get are about a pound each. Not too hard yo fit in a decent sized pot. I did have a heck of a time fitting em all in a kneehigh lol

I am looking for a banana wine recipe that uses frozen bananas and not boiling them. Does anyone have any directives?

okay i have a question on this one, i just scored 25# of bananas for $2. half the recipes i see say to leave the skins on and half say to peel and puree the bananas. either way i'm to boil the batch and muslin bag what i can.

my question is why leave the skin on? does it add anything to the wine?
if i freeze this lot before using should i peel it first? i can't imagine putting black banana skins in a wine mix but you never know.

a quick answer would be great since i'll be trying to tackle this tonight or tomorrow.

thanks
Ben

I made mine with the skin on because that's what the recipe in the original post called for. I froze my bananas for a few days before I made the wine and the skin was black, but the fruit inside was still golden yellow. There weren't any off flavors from the black skins when I tasted the must before pitching or when I tasted it when transferring to secondary. So, I don't think there are any bad effects from leaving the skin on.

Back