Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this up a few weeks ago.

I omitted the honey, didn't want to go buy any, subbed in honey malt and used corn sugar instead.

Used WLP 565 instead, but kept the hop schedule and pepper the same.

The beer is DAMN good. The aroma is really fresh smelling and it is spicy. I think more from the yeast than the pepper. Who knows, maybe they are so complimentary it is hard to tell what contributed more.

I pitched at 68 and after 1 night, moved it to an attic that let it rise and stay at about 82.

It finished at 1.008, which I am realizing now is pretty good for only using 565 without any extra help.

The beer is so good that I am brewing it again by using the same base, but will change spices by adding fresh shredded ginger along with the pepper (same timing) and same 565.

Will let you guys know.

Well done buddy.

I brewed this up a few weeks ago.

I omitted the honey, didn't want to go buy any, subbed in honey malt and used corn sugar instead.

Used WLP 565 instead, but kept the hop schedule and pepper the same.

The beer is DAMN good. The aroma is really fresh smelling and it is spicy. I think more from the yeast than the pepper. Who knows, maybe they are so complimentary it is hard to tell what contributed more.

I pitched at 68 and after 1 night, moved it to an attic that let it rise and stay at about 82.

It finished at 1.008, which I am realizing now is pretty good for only using 565 without any extra help.

The beer is so good that I am brewing it again by using the same base, but will change spices by adding fresh shredded ginger along with the pepper (same timing) and same 565.

Will let you guys know.

Well done buddy.

I forgot to add that I did not use Fuggles...used UK Goldings.

You are going to love it!

I'm doing a 1 gallon batch, since I'm only a 1-gallon brewer right now :)
Per Tastybrew, do I just carb this up under the Belgian and French Ale- Saison style? I mean, I think that sounds pretty self-explanatory, but I just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

JeffoC6 said:
I'm doing a 1 gallon batch, since I'm only a 1-gallon brewer right now :)
Per Tastybrew, do I just carb this up under the Belgian and French Ale- Saison style? I mean, I think that sounds pretty self-explanatory, but I just wanted to confirm. Thanks!

Yes, that is correct!

Just finished up brewing this. My OG came out to 1.057, which was a little less than the target of 1.062. Smelled AMAZING when you add the honey, pepper, and then lemon zest at flameout.

I have a hydrometer sample in the fridge right now. I can't wait to taste it.

How did you get this to finish so low? When I plug this recipe into hopville it says it should be at 1.012.

HellBentBrewCo said:
How did you get this to finish so low? When I plug this recipe into hopville it says it should be at 1.012.

This saison yeast is a beast, it ferments almost completely, I have seen this yeast drop down to almost 1.000 in the right conditions

I just ordered the ingredients for this. I couldn't get sorachi Ace, what would be a good substitute?

BWN said:
I just ordered the ingredients for this. I couldn't get sorachi Ace, what would be a good substitute?

I told another a page or two back that I used the sorachi ace for the lemon flavor it imparts, so for a citrus note you could sub in centennial, which I find to have a bit of lemon flavor along with orange and grapefruit, then maybe add in the zest of a lemon in the last 5 minutes along with the pepper.

It may not be the same as using sorachi ace, but it should be a tasty beer with similar flavor as mine.

Thanks for the reply. I actually found them at farmhouse brewing supply. I just need to get some honey now. I am hoping to find some locally. Do you think it really matters what kind it is?

BWN said:
Thanks for the reply. I actually found them at farmhouse brewing supply. I just need to get some honey now. I am hoping to find some locally. Do you think it really matters what kind it is?

I think it would matter more in a mead, in this beer I think you are good using what you have available, that's keeping in the spirit of a farmhouse ale anyway!

I got some local honey today the person who sold it to me wasn't sure what it was. I am hoping to brew this next week if my ingredients arrive in time. I am just really into saisons right now, can't wait.

BWN said:
I got some local honey today the person who sold it to me wasn't sure what it was. I am hoping to brew this next week if my ingredients arrive in time. I am just really into saisons right now, can't wait.

You are going to love this beer, simple in its complexity, or complex in its simplicity... one of the two. :D

I'm hoping to brew this next weekend. I'm assuming you used Sorachi Ace just because you had it laying around. I'm thinking it may play well with the yeast as a late hop, or even dry hop addition. Any thoughts?

rmedved said:
I'm hoping to brew this next weekend. I'm assuming you used Sorachi Ace just because you had it laying around. I'm thinking it may play well with the yeast as a late hop, or even dry hop addition. Any thoughts?

I had it kicking around, but it was a deliberate addition to bring in some lemon flavor to the beer

Hi,
How long have you kept a saison in the secondary for? I was thinking about keeping it at 75 F for a month or so. What is your thoughts.

I was going to dry hop it for the last 10 days with a Saaz.

Cheers,

Finally got around to brewing this. My OG was a little low 1.058(been having efficiency problems lately). I added an extra .4 lbs of honey to try and make up for it. I am trying out my new aquarium heater to ferment this. I'll let you know how it turns out in a month or so. :)

is there any substitute for the white wheat? i dont have any but i want to brew this rcipe very soon

Whoa nelly, just took a FG reading of this after 27 days...1.000 (Starting gravity was 1.056). Looks like this is going to pack quite a punch, huh?

eviljay said:
Brewed this yesterday. It already smells divine. Thanks for the recipe!

Anytime! I hope you enjoy this beer as much as I do, in fact I prefer it without too much age on it so the favors are still bright.

what kind of caramunich did you use? Weyermann® Caramunich® I?

If memory serves me that was the one.

I buy in bulk so it is in a sealed pail labeled simply caramunich.

ok. is there a color spec on the label anywhere? i have some franco belges 60l caramunich i have laying around, but i think it will come out darker than what you have going on, yours looks orange and awesome!

I'm bottling this tonight. I cold crashed it for 24 hours to let everything settle. I wasn't going to, as I like the haze of a saison, but I'm banking on the fact that it'll still be nice and hazy even with a 24 hour cold crash.

Azscoob, do you think 3 weeks at 70 degrees will be long enough to properly carb this?

JeffoC6 said:
I'm bottling this tonight. I cold crashed it for 24 hours to let everything settle. I wasn't going to, as I like the haze of a saison, but I'm banking on the fact that it'll still be nice and hazy even with a 24 hour cold crash.

Azscoob, do you think 3 weeks at 70 degrees will be long enough to properly carb this?

Three or four weeks, then check one. I keg and have never bottle conditioned my beers, I just bottle a few off from the tap so I'm not the best for this recommendation.

I'm drinking the leftovers that didn't make it into my bottles. It's nice and hazy and really dry (awesome!). It tastes amazing flat, I can only imagine how it's going to be with a nice pillowy head on top and carbed! WOOOHOOO!

Back