Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrzud

Reaction score
What types of sugar do you use for priming?

Ive heard of using different types of sugar... do the different types create a noticable taste difference?

Are there any types of sugar that are recommended or any that I should stay away from?

thanks

On the few occassions (sp?) I have bottled I've just used plain old dextrose. Everyone I've ever talked to has used it and no one has ever had anything bad to say about it. I think the idea is that dextrose is just a simple, usable sugar that doesn't impart any flavor and just lets the yeasties do their thang and make CO2.

Priming sugar is using 3/4 cup of corn sugar to 5 gal. of homebrew to be added just before bottling or 1/3 cup before kegging. Most people let this sit in the bottle for about 10 days and this will produce the wanted co2 that creates the bubbles and head. The trick is to wait the 10 days.

All I have ever used is corn sugar. According to Charlie Pap. regular table sugar isnt as effective as corn sugar. Mostly all I use is corny kegs and I pump up the co2 for a couple of days and there is more carbonation than I need. I pour into a pitcher and let it settle until there is a small layer of head. With this procedure I dont even use priming sugar in my kegs any more. Only if I bottle.

Daneaux said:
Mostly all I use is corny kegs and I pump up the co2 for a couple of days and there is more carbonation than I need. I pour into a pitcher and let it settle until there is a small layer of head. With this procedure I dont even use priming sugar in my kegs any more. Only if I bottle.

So you dont have to worry about hooking up any CO2 tanks or hand pumps to get the pressure needed to dispense?

The co2 tank is hooked up to the kegs to dispense the beer. Usually the suggested amount of psi to pour the beer from the tap is 3-5 lbs. of co2. When you first put the beer in the keg instead of adding 1/3 cup sugar to prime which helps with natural carbonation I like to add 30-40- psi to the keg. This will aid in sealing the o-ring at the top and will make the beer really foamy in about 7-10 days. The pressure will fall slightly if the keg has no leaks and the pressure inside will be about 20 psi when I am thirsty. I keep it cold in the kegerator and when I am ready I will tap the beer which comes out fast and bubbly so I let it sit in a pitcher for 2-3minutes and pour a pint and the rest is imperial stout heaven. I recommend picking up the book THE COMPLETE JOY OF HOMEBREWING. His way of priming and kegging are the basics and my way is the way I like to do it. I know ever one does it their way the only rule is not to use more sugar than recomended. Pop goes the bottle!!!!

when priming my bottles we have this great little things made by coppers called carbon drops the wright amount every time no fuss it cut my bottling time down by half :p

Back