Where in Europe would you live?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I guess this question is geared more towards US and Canadian citizens. If you could live in any European country which one and why?

Where:
Germany

Why:
The Beer
The Food
I speak the language
The Alps
The Public Transportation
Scientology is illegal
Gemuetlichkeit

I've only been to the extremes...Northern and Southern Europe. I'd go with Southern myself, such as Italy or Spain. Lots more social interaction plus the food is better (IMO). Weather is better in the south, and that's not opinion.

Haven't been to the middle, but my wife loves Germany...hear lots of great stuff about Munich (work, play, beer) from German colleagues at work.

Mediterranian region for sure. After that either Germany or England.

Cheyco said:
I'm with Walker in Germany. He forgot two reasons though; there is a round of the World Rally Champoinship there now, and Porsche.
You watch rally? I'm a fan in passing, but my wife and went to Rally Mexico last year in Leon because it's only about 2 hrs from my in-laws' house in Guadalajara. We had a blast...were planning to go back this year but logistics have conspired against us. Went to Sweden for business last week and missed the rally there by one weekend...definitely would have headed up for the snow rally.

Is Hawaii in Europe?
Yeah, that's the ticket, put me down for Hawaii.
Jeff

AMSTERDAM!!! I went 2 years ago and loved it! great beer (spent alot of time at cafe belguim -- tasty!), great buds, great food, they speak english and like americans. I gave some thought to moving there and getting some work and use it as my base for exploring europe... Still might:rockin:

TxBrew said:
If you could live in any European country which one and why?

Hippie said:
AMSTERDAM!!! I went 2 years ago and loved it! great beer (spent alot of time at cafe belguim -- tasty!), great buds, great food, they speak english and like americans. I gave some thought to moving there and getting some work and use it as my base for exploring europe... Still might:rockin:

Hey, Hippie... Amsterdam is not a country. :D

Just messing with ya...

Anyway, when I lived in Germany (pre 9/11) I found that the dutch couldn't STAND americans. I ended up speaking german and claiming to be from Stuttgart the whole time I was there on vacation and I feel that I was treated better as a 'german' than as an 'american'. I can't imagine that americans have a very positive image in the rest of the world considering our government's totally f*cked up foreign policy lately.

Because of what has happened in the last 5 years, I am hesitant to travel anywhere outside the USA.

-walker

One of those Greek isles (except Lesbos :confused: ) in a white villa on the cliffs overlooking the Mediteranean just far enough from the topless beaches where the tourists don't annoy me yet the telescope is well within range.

I'll be having to make my own beer, but the sun, water & food... aye!!

france if it weren't for the fact that i've only liked about 10% of the french people i've met. skiing the haute routes in chamonix and drinking fine wine. climbing fontainbleau. eating french food. doesn't sound so bad but where's the beer?

germany more than likely though. its my heritage, great brewing tradition, i love german food, soccer, skiing, fun people, close to other cool places in europe. ive never been but will be there for the world cup this summer...cant wait.

BeeGee said:
You watch rally? I'm a fan in passing, but my wife and went to Rally Mexico last year in Leon because it's only about 2 hrs from my in-laws' house in Guadalajara. We had a blast...were planning to go back this year but logistics have conspired against us. Went to Sweden for business last week and missed the rally there by one weekend...definitely would have headed up for the snow rally.

I have a friend who lives within walking distance of parc ferma of the rally of sweden. I've got to go see the big boys. I think I'll be going by myself because SWMBO thinks she freezes too much at home to want to actually travel somwhere to freeze on vacation.

TxBrew said:
I guess this question is geared more towards US and Canadian citizens. If you could live in any European country which one and why?
If i had to stay in the UK I'd vote for Southern Cornwall as my ideal place. Wider Europe i'd say the south side of Crete.

desertBrew said:
One of those Greek isles (except Lesbos :confused: ) in a white villa on the cliffs overlooking the Mediteranean just far enough from the topless beaches where the tourists don't annoy me yet the telescope is well within range.

A hell of a good one! I love Greece. And those beaches ARE nice :D

Maybe Ios?

Janx said:
A hell of a good one! I love Greece. And those beaches ARE nice :D

Maybe Ios?

I could choose Cyprus (wife is from there). I like it there, but all her relatives are there as well so - NOT!.

desertBrew said:

You more or less summed it up for me. There, or basically any place on the Med.

Lesbos? hehehehe. I would live in Amsterdam (I know it is not a country), Ireland, Spain, or Germany.

Cheyco said:
I have a friend who lives within walking distance of parc ferma of the rally of sweden. I've got to go see the big boys. I think I'll be going by myself because SWMBO thinks she freezes too much at home to want to actually travel somwhere to freeze on vacation.
Well, Rally Mexico was actually quite pleasant. Leon was around 20-25C during the day and probably 15C at night. The high plateau where the stages are was probably 3-5C cooler at any given time. If you went for 10 days or so you could base out of Guadalajara and catch the rally for 3-4 days, then bus down to Puerto Vallarta (4hrs) for a few days. Plenty to see in Gdl. for a few days, as well.

I've got my sights set on catching the rally in Argentina, but I'm not sure when it will happen, if ever. New Zealand would be pretty sweet, as well.

Ireland- I am already a citizen there from ancestry, and I could travel anywhere else I wanted to be.

For me it would be Italy. Love the food, like the language (learning to speak it). Only disadvantage is the (lack of) beer. Living in the UK is beginning to pi$$ me off...way too crowded and general anger levels seem to be rising (don't know if this is true of other countries??)....beer and pubs are great though..:)

BlightyBrewer said:
Living in the UK is beginning to pi$$ me off...way too crowded and general anger levels seem to be rising (don't know if this is true of other countries??)....beer and pubs are great though..:)

Do the kids in the UK shoot each other at school on an alarmingly regular basis? We're getting used to that kind of **** over here.

-walker

I'm going for The Aran Islands in Western Ireland.

First of all if I had to live in Europe I would want to be as close to the edge of getting out of it as I could

Second I'm of Irish ancestory

Walker said:
Do the kids in the UK shoot each other at school on an alarmingly regular basis? We're getting used to that kind of **** over here.

-walker

'kin ell!! Well, they are in "infant violence school" at the moment, i.e they are starting to stab and slash each other. Guns are beginning to creep in here, so I'm sure it won't be long....

what a f$%cked up world this is...and us humans think we are "civilised"!!:mad:

My dog is more f%£king civilised!

I really like Paris. I am there at least a month out of every year. It only takes a few hours to get to know someone and they feel like friends for life.

Amsterdam would be another choice... although I feel like its one of those "great places to visit.. but.."

I haven't been to Italy yet but I imagine I may change my mind once I have...

Hey Walker, just read a story in the local rag, apparently the kids around here like to spray a hedgehog with deoderant, set it alight, then kick it to death whilst recording the whole scene on their mobile phones to show to their pals later on.

Little f%£king b%$tards, makes me sick to the stomach!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Stop this sick world, I want to get off!

I lived in Germany for 9 years (Augsburg and Bamberg). I've been to most of the countries in Europe at least once. I've vacationed to mainland Spain twice. In the Med I stayed on Mallorca (2x), and Grand Canary island off the coast of Morrocco; Crete and Malta. Greece twice, Turkey twice.

I'd pick Germany as a place to live since I could still visit all the other countries.:)

The wife and I have talked about selling everything, buying a sailboat and cruising the caribbean. Frome there we could always hop across the Atlantic to the Mediterranean or Europe.

Where in Europe?

orfy said:
I like Africa.

Or maybe a cave some where.

Make sure you enter the geography bee:D

I've never been there, so I guess anywhere but France.
Actually, I couldn't go cuz all I'd do would be to stand around staring goggle-eyed at all the history over there. I'd get absolutely nothing done.

Nobody's said London, have they?

I'm a country boy at heart, but I think if I were to live in the *big city*, London would be pretty damn cool.

Back