Strawberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

14chriscov14

Reaction score
This is my first time to try wine making and I would appreciate it if some of you would give any advice. I'm making 5 gallons and started with 11lbs of strawberries and 5lbs of sugar. I used 1packet of yeast.

I read somewhere that after a couple of days the strawberries will bleach out and turn white and then I should rack my wine an get rid of strawberries. So that's what I did. Was this a good choice or have I messed up?

I've not done strawberry wine. But that does sound likely and like a good idea. Did you take hydrometer readings?

How does it taste?

Did you add anything else besides water, strawberries sugar and yeast? Sometimes the ferment can be helped with yeast nutrient in the begining to first 24hours (stagared yeast additions).

Just tasted my strawberry wine today. I used the same ingredients. It really tasted weak. I was not pleased with it at all. I added some blueberry juice to it hoping it will give it something. It probably won't make the cut of being made again. But on the other hand, I used frozen strawberries...:( maybe this spring I will try it with fresh.

you dont have nearly enough strawberries, add another 20 pounds before the fermentation is done now right into your bucket, its not that they are frozen its that you didnt add nearly enough fruit for 5 gallons

This is my first time to try wine making and I would appreciate it if some of you would give any advice. I'm making 5 gallons and started with 11lbs of strawberries and 5lbs of sugar. I used 1packet of yeast.

That was probably my problem too...not enough strawberries.

Definitely!

You can probably get away with 3 pounds per gallon, if the strawberries are exceptionally sweet and good. I'd go with at least 3.5 pounds per gallon.

For a 5 gallon batch, as in this case, using 11 pounds is not nearly enough.

It did takes a little weak. I will add a lot more tonight. I guess it is a good thing that strawberries are the only fruit that is on sale right now

Definitely!

You can probably get away with 3 pounds per gallon, if the strawberries are exceptionally sweet and good. I'd go with at least 3.5 pounds per gallon.

I will try this when the strawberries come in from Louisiana this spring. I made this for my husband, but lately we have been partial to the dark red/purple wines. I never quite knew what you were talking about when they said "mouthfeel", but after making some awesome elderberry based wines...now I know. :)

Definitely!

I will try this when the strawberries come in from Louisiana this spring. I made this for my husband, but lately we have been partial to the dark red/purple wines. I never quite knew what people were talking about when they said "mouthfeel", but after making some awesome elderberry based wines...now I know. :)

We like to use 10lb/gal, its a little acidic but we backsweeten to balance it. If you want more body use honey and make it a mead. ELDME extra light dried malt extract works well for body, about 1 lb/5 gal. Using more fruit gives it more color and flavor and when you open the bottle it fills the room with strawberry and can last for several years in the bottle, way past just the usual 3lb/galbatches. WVMJ

WVMJ said:
We like to use 10lb/gal, its a little acidic but we backsweeten to balance it. If you want more body use honey and make it a mead. ELDME extra light dried malt extract works well for body, about 1 lb/5 gal. Using more fruit gives it more color and flavor and when you open the bottle it fills the room with strawberry and can last for several years in the bottle, way past just the usual 3lb/galbatches. WVMJ

I would love to try a strawberry wine like this! Sounds great!

Wow, 10 lbs per gallon! I thought I was on the full side @ 4 to 5 lbs per gallon.

As it is, my strawberry is in secondary, and it fills the room with awesome strawberry smell when I pop the bung. Can't imagine what double that ammount of fruit smells like!

There was an article in Wine Maker Magazine a few years back about a real winery making strawberry wine, they used 100% juice by crushing the strawberries themselves like they were grapes. We also make sure to add some tannin to help keep strawberry wine longer, it seems to work, a little bit of oak also goes well with this, but just a little. WVMJ

WVMJ,what yeast do you prefer for your strawberry wine? I would like to make a few batches of strawberry come spring and I think your variation sounds pretty good.

14chriscov14 said:
Is it too late to add it. I'm only a little over a week into the process

You can add it anytime. The dosage may be higher once fermentation stops.

Thanks for all the input. I just added more strawberries so hopefully that will give it the rest of the flavor it needs. Any more advice you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. I'm not expecting my first time wine to be amazing but I would like to be able to drink it. Thanks

I like Pasteur Red, KiV1116 or EC1118, just depends on what we are aiming for, I really like this as a mead, lots of body from th ehoney, the ELDME also gives it a lot og body, something usually lacking in a strawberry. WVMJ

I used d-47 on my one and only batch I've made. Having made lots of cider and white wines, lower temps for fermenting help to preserve flavors. I prefer to let my brews ferment dry, then backsweeten to taste. I think it gives me more control.

The fermentation process has slowed down tremendously. Is that a bad thing or does it always slow down 2 1/2 weeks into it

The fermentation process has slowed down tremendously. Is that a bad thing or does it always slow down 2 1/2 weeks into it

Don't panic. Take a hydrometer reading of you can't stand not knowing. :)

And, to answer your question...it depends on the yeast, the temp, the S.G. etc...

I have a batch started right now also, I used 3lbs/gallon (6 gallons), got fresh strawberries for $2/lb at the one market by my house (grown in mexico, works for me) My initial was 1.083 when I added the yeast (24 hours after everything else), that was 1/23. 1/31 I was down to 1.003 already and swapped to a carboy off the fruit. My berries were bleached out and pretty well "dead". I used a potato masher to press them.

I am 4 weeks in as of yesterday and my airlock bubbling has slowed to the point I can't see anything. I am sure if I stared long enough I would .

Just trying to share hopefully help you out, I've definitely asked a ton of questions lately.

Will

Its not to late to throw more strawberries in there to boost the nose and flavor especially while you still have some yeast working. WVMJ

I have a batch started right now also, I used 3lbs/gallon (6 gallons), got fresh strawberries for $2/lb at the one market by my house (grown in mexico, works for me) My initial was 1.083 when I added the yeast (24 hours after everything else), that was 1/23. 1/31 I was down to 1.003 already and swapped to a carboy off the fruit. My berries were bleached out and pretty well "dead". I used a potato masher to press them.

I am 4 weeks in as of yesterday and my airlock bubbling has slowed to the point I can't see anything. I am sure if I stared long enough I would .

Just trying to share hopefully help you out, I've definitely asked a ton of questions lately.

Will

It has been about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks since I started this process. Fermentation has stopped completely. Is it time to bottle the wine or do I need to let it sit for a little while longer?

Is it clear? If you plan on sweetening it you will want to stabilize it with sulfite and sorbate.

vanillabean said:
Is it clear? If you plan on sweetening it you will want to stabilize it with sulfite and sorbate.

It is getting much clearer day by day. I just didn't want to bottle it to soon and then it possibly start working again then have to clean up a huge mess and not to mention all the time and money that would be wasted

Well it's been over 5 weeks and it is still cooking. Any idea how much longer I have to wait. It has been cooking at this pace for about 2 1/2 weeks now

Fermentation works at its own pace. Also, you can be finished with your ferment, but still get a few bubbles. Are they steady, and at what frequency?

Latest posts

Back