Should I drink it???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesinistral

Reaction score
Hello, all. First post here.

Getting back into homebrewing and while rummaging through my storage unit I just found 12 1-liter swing top bottles full of homebrew leftover from my last homebrewing 'kick'.

These beers have been in a non-climate-controlled garage and storage unit for at least 8-10 years....

I opened one and it was still carbonated. In fact it spewed a bit. I poured a glass and it had a beautiful head and a nice dark caramel body. ( I think it was an amber bock?) I smelled it and smelled like beer, though my g/f said she smelled vinegar. There was nothing floating in it whatsoever. It looked perfect. I poured it out.

Of course, my instinct is to be proud of my handsome, well-carbonated, non-contaminated beer..... then pour it all out and clean my bottles for my next hop bomb. My concern is because of the years of temperature changes from 30ish up to 120 in summer... (I'm in DFW area)

Sooo....... should I drink a sip then wait for stomach pains..... or pour it out?

There really shouldn't be anything in it that would kill you so yes, I would take a sample and give one a try!

The answer to this question is always "yes". It may be terrible, but it won't hurt you.

What's it taste like? Drink one, tells how it is, how you feel, and then I'll make my recommendation. (sarc)

I recently started homebrewing again after an 8 year break. I had two cornies in my garage that I had been too lazy to dump. I tried both of them. One had developed an infection. The other was in good shape. Plenty of hoppy character. The malt part of the taste had almost gone. I ended up tossing it but it would have been a drinkable beer.

I was worried about the same thing on over year old oatmeal stout. Yet 8 year old home brew is much older then year old stout. From what i have read anything with 2% ABV or above nothing can grow in it that can hurt you. I have also heard from a number of people nothing in beer will hurt you. And if Revvy says its ok then i'm sure its ok for sure lol!!!

Same thing happened to me but with a bottle of red wine I made with a buddy about 7 years ago. I chilled it down, then let it warm back up to room temp before opening it. Had definitely developed a little bit of vinegar taste. We drank a glass each, and then dumped it.

I'd drink it. Do us all(yourself included) and post video or pics with a breakdown of what you get.

Yea, I think if you start a thread like this you have to report, I mean in the name of science, lol.

Back