Full body low FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
So on a particular brewday from hell i boiled 8.5 gal of wort down to 5 gal of 1.080 SG over 2.5 hours. This beast fully attenuated down to 1.002 FG. Shockingly it tastes surprisingly full bodied and i cant tell at all that there is 10% alcohol in it.

Is this a result of the extremely long boil and a extremely low mash temp(140F)?

If it is i like it!

The low mash and yeast type is what did it. Is it dry as hell? What yeast? Any dextrose or sucrose?

1lb of sucrose. Ive had beers finish at 1.008 and be sooooo dry. This one seems balanced, its mind boggling. I dont get any alcohol in the taste or smell

Was your fermentation temperature toward the low end for the yeast? That would explain why you have few harsh alcohol flavors.

Finishing at 1.002 isn't normal for brewing yeast, unless of course you're using 3711 which can probably ferment gasoline. What strain did you use?

The low mash temp probably accounts for part of why the FG is so low. I like to use WLP 566 (Saison II) and this ferments to a low FG, but the beers still taste sweet. Also, you may have a lot of protein left in the beer and this is giving you a lot of the body. Many homebrewers don't consider the role of protein in providing body in a beer - the BMC folks do though and they have done a lot of research into it!

I assume this beer has a :rockin: head

I used WLP001. Probably on its 3rd or 4th generation by now. Ill keep the protein in mind when its carbonated

Back