Acid testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterale

Reaction score
This is my second batch of wine, my first one was decent but a little acidic I didn't test the acidity for this batch either. It's still in primary, can I test and adjust still and how or what do I do to lower the acidity?

There are test kits @ your LHBS that help you test acidity. Usually around 10$ (american) and the shop owner should be able to show you how to use one.

If your newest batch ends up being too acidic for your taste, you could blend it with something less tart. Or, you could use Potassium Bicarbonate to drop out some of the Tartaric acid. Finally, there is the tried and true method of waiting. Time will reduce the acid somewhat.

Hope this helps!

WilliamSlayer said:
There are test kits @ your LHBS that help you test acidity. Usually around 10$ (american) and the shop owner should be able to show you how to use one.

If your newest batch ends up being too acidic for your taste, you could blend it with something less tart. Or, you could use Potassium Bicarbonate to drop out some of the Tartaric acid. Finally, there is the tried and true method of waiting. Time will reduce the acid somewhat.

Hope this helps!

I plan on cold stabilizing a batch of mine. Some of the tartaric acid will crystallize and precipitate out.

saramc said:
If your fruit is one that will drop tartaric crystals, that will help. Not all fruits will drop tartaric crystals.

True, good point.

Back