Stainless Conicals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
Has anyone bought or used a 7.5 gal conical? Saw a couple on ebay for about 300 shipped that got good reviews.

What are the main benefits vs carboy/buckets? Ease of transfer? clearer beer?

I use a plastic full drain conical. Total cost for a 30 gallon shipped was less than 100 bucks. The SS conicals are nice to look at but for the homebrewer, I don't see the cost benefit. The main benefit of conicals is greater yeast compaction and smaller surface area contact between the yeast cake and beer. You can harvest yeast much easier and my beer is much clearer using the conical that it ever was with a bucket or carboy. Just my take on it.

Cost benefit, no I suppose not. But I have a 14gal stainless conical and love it. Advantages as mentioned easy dumping of trub, harvesting of yeast, also easy access port for sampling and transferring under CO2 pressure to the keg. I do like the stainless for the fact it will last forever without having to worry about scratches or retaining odors. And it's purty. :)

I just received my ebay conical. I got the 7.3 gallon version for about $300 shipped. It is actually nicer than I was expecting for the money. I'm not hot on the bar that retains the lid, but it works fine. I bought this with the intention of modding it, so a band clmp may be in order for the lid once I get the peltier cooler mounted.

Back