Hop bag from the boil accidentally put in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHahn

Reaction score
So my friend and I were brewing an Imperial IPA, and it seems like we had a few too many during the process and were a little careless. When we opened up the primary and went to transfer it to the secondary, we noticed that we accidentally forgot to take out one of the hop bags we used during brewing. We did four additions total. I guess three out of four isn't too bad.... It was in the primary for about 10 days. It has been in the secondary for a few days now. So is this going to impart any off flavors into the brew or any other complications?

Shouldn't IMHO, but I'm still new to brewing. If you had it in there during the boil it should be sanitized. The only problem is when you rack into your keg our bottles you will have to be extra careful to avoid the hop debri.

Some people talk about a grassy or green taste from over dry hopping which typically uses larger quantities, many disagree. Give it a week and let us know!

Many people (myself included) don't use hop bags at all. I just dump everything in the kettle into the bucket. It works fine.

This isn't dry hopping. These are the hops from the boil, right?

Don't worry about it. This is no different than pouring everything from your boil into your fermenter, which is what a lot of brewers (including me) do. I don't put my hops in a bag, I don't filter them out - I pour everything but the absolute sticky solids fromt eh bottom of the pot into my fermenter.

The only difference is that yours are in a bag, which is already sanitized from the boil. This will have zero impact in any aspect to your beer.

Well, I guess this is a good test for you. If you can't taste any off grassy flavors from gets leaving it all in, you just saved yourself some extra steps on brew day. :)

Thanks guys. I'm glad there is a consensus here. This is only my fourth batch, so I just wanted to make sure it was alright. I did a batch before where I didn't use hop bags and it came out fine, so I should have figured it was going to be ok. I'll let you know how it is when it's done.

I use a paint strainer to keep hop debris out of the fermenter. Just sanitize it beforehand and it works really well in reducing the amount of debris on the bottom of your fermenter - makes racking (and cleaning) a lot easier. Plus they're cheap.

Yep, me too. The hops bag was boiled so it was sanitized. There isn't any issue with it being in there- not a bit.

Would that include spent leaf hops? I've always pulled out the hop bags for everything except my aroma/flameout additions to whirlpool. But maybe I don't need to do that?

Edit: Yooper was replying to this post:

Many people (myself included) don't use hop bags at all. I just dump everything in the kettle into the bucket. It works fine.

This isn't dry hopping. These are the hops from the boil, right?

Don't worry about it. This is no different than pouring everything from your boil into your fermenter, which is what a lot of brewers (including me) do. I don't put my hops in a bag, I don't filter them out - I pour everything but the absolute sticky solids fromt eh bottom of the pot into my fermenter.

The only difference is that yours are in a bag, which is already sanitized from the boil. This will have zero impact in any aspect to your beer.

I realize this isn't dry hopping. The point I was making was what you said in the later part of your thread in that I don't use a bag for hopping until I dry hop. I just dump the hops into the boil so I was saying him dumping his hop bag from the boil into the primary should be nothing to worry about...

Back