Smells like apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mscg4u

Reaction score
So I just bottled a batch last night (Irish Red) and now my fermenter bucket smells like apples. I noticed the smell on the beer, but it tasted fine. I'm not too worried, but just curious as to what it could be and if I should be worried.

It's the result of acetaldehyde. Did you use a lot of simple sugars, or rack your beer off primary too soon (or at all?)

Just letting them be for a few weeks can help the smell mellow out.

I didn't use any simple sugars and it was on primary for 3 weeks. Tastes great though, so I can't wait to have it carbed in a few weeks. The smell in the bucket won't affect future brews will it?

Probably not if you clean it and sanitize it properly. Your beer is going to mellow out a bit with conditioning.

mscg4u said:
I didn't use any simple sugars and it was on primary for 3 weeks. Tastes great though, so I can't wait to have it carbed in a few weeks. The smell in the bucket won't affect future brews will it?

Soak it in oxyclean free or the generic stuff overnight (start it out really hot) and rinse really well. You'll be good to go.

Alright so I just checked the SG of my current batch fermenting (American Amber) and everything is fine... Tastes good, a lot more bitter than I expected, but I think that's from the hops (centennial -60 min and cascade 15 min). It attenuated perfectly (I hit my expected OG and FG). What I'm getting to with all of this is that this batch also has a strong acetaldehyde smell to it. It's been in primary for 2 weeks, and I plan on bottling next weekend, but will that be long enough?
I opened one of the Irish Draughts from the original post yesterday, and it tasted alright, except It had that appley taste/smell... Will that go away in the bottles (also spent 3 weeks in bottles and primary) or am I stuck with appley beer and how do I stop making it?

mscg4u said:
Alright so I just checked the SG of my current batch fermenting (American Amber) and everything is fine... Tastes good, a lot more bitter than I expected, but I think that's from the hops (centennial -60 min and cascade 15 min). It attenuated perfectly (I hit my expected OG and FG). What I'm getting to with all of this is that this batch also has a strong acetaldehyde smell to it. It's been in primary for 2 weeks, and I plan on bottling next weekend, but will that be long enough?
I opened one of the Irish Draughts from the original post yesterday, and it tasted alright, except It had that appley taste/smell... Will that go away in the bottles (also spent 3 weeks in bottles and primary) or am I stuck with appley beer and how do I stop making it?

Guess I'll repost this so someone sees it

ACETALDEHYDE
CHARACTERISTICS: Acetaldehyde has the flavor and
aroma of green apples. It can also taste and smell
acetic/cidery.
CHEMISTRY: Formed as a precursor to alcohol by the
yeast, or as a product of the oxidation of alcohol to acetic
acid.
CAUSES: Acetaldehyde from yeast metabolism as a step
in the production of alcohol from glucose has a crisp
green apple flavor. If produced from the oxidation of
alcohol to acetic acid, whether by oxidation or by
acetobacter, this flavor will be more vinegary and less
pleasant.
PROCESS: As a product of yeast metabolism, it can be
caused by the strain itself or by premature termination of
the yeast's fermentation. The reaction from glucose to
alcohol may be stopped at the acetaldehyde stage by
factors such as oxygen depletion, premature flocculation,
etc. It may also be produced by contamination by acetic
acid bacteria.
REMOVAL: Use a good yeast strain that will attenuate
the wort properly. Oxygenate the wort at yeast-pitching
time. DO NOT splash or oxygenate the wort when
racking or bottling. Long lagering periods will also reduce
acetaldehyde.

I would rouse my yeast daily for several days and condition it for a couple more weeks

My first appley batch I used Wyeasts Irish Ale... This most recent batch I used White Labs American Ale Blend. I made sure to oxygenate very well when pitching and both batches went strong for 3 days, and it took probably 4-5 for the krauesen to fall. I'm curious as to why I would have the same flavor/smell using two different recipes, two different yeast strains from two different companies, also using two different fermenters.

Haha, I don't know if that was a joke or not, but no. They both stayed around 65-70 degrees for fermentation.

Will the batch already bottled lose some of the appley smell/taste or is it pretty much stuck? I stirred up the yeast on the amber, so hopefully the yeasties clean it up

Will the batch already bottled lose some of the appley smell/taste or is it pretty much stuck? I stirred up the yeast on the amber, so hopefully the yeasties clean it up

It might clean up well. Don't stir up the yeast or stir up the beer- it'll not help the apple flavor and may oxidize the beer.

Underpitching the yeast may have been responsible, to an extent. So some time may fix it just fine.

Remember to keep the fermentation temperature (not the ambient) temperature under 70 degrees, so if the room is 70 degrees it could be way too warm. One of the by-products of a too-warm fermentation is an off-flavor called "esters" which is a fruity flavor.

Yeah I had a wonderful estery first batch. I won't stir it up anymore, and I'll let it sit for at least another week. I made a starter for this one, so if I under pitched I don't think I did it by too much... This kind of has me worried, i need to pin point the problem; I don't want to keep making acetadehyde filled beer.

Latest posts

Back