Kegerator "enhancement"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
Well I finally got around to picking up longer shanks so that I can move my taps a couple inches out from the door so that I can fit my custom made tap handles on it without them being so damned close to the freezer door(if they twisted the wrong way you couldn't close the tap :( )

Anyway, I got the longer shanks, but needed a way to move the taps further out, and this here is my solution.
IMG_20111107_215830.jpg

This was put together on Sunday afternoon using some scrap cherry and maple I had laying around the garage.

Also picked up some stainless collars for the taps too since the shanks will be holding that board in the pic above to the front of the fridge(plastic probably wouldn't cut it). Also decided to clean them up a bit, one of these has been run through the buffer, the other will be next :D
IMG_20111107_215801.jpg

Will post a pic of the finished product in a couple days when I manage to get it all installed.

Should work like a charm. I had to bump my taps out with a piece of red cedar on my keezer, because I put a piece of ponderosa pine on the top of the coffin that overhung too far in the front. My tap handles were hitting the top and a couple were not sealing fully. I got my kegging equipment at kegconnection.com and they came with 5 1/4" shanks, so I bumped it out almost 2 inches. Looks better and functions flawlessly. Nice work....can't wait to see the finished producet installed. :mug:

Done!

Also think I finally managed to balance my kegerator, not sure how everyone seems to get by with 5-6ft of 3/16" hose, but my sweet spot was 11 feet, anyway, working great, and I can finally use my tap handles without the angle adapters with room to spare :D

IMG_20111109_211010.jpg

IMG_20111109_211018.jpg

IMG_20111109_211028.jpg

The wood panels look great.

Maybe it's the angle of the photograph, but do your faucets drip out, past the drip tray? Might want to mount that out a bit as well?

The wood panels look great.

Maybe it's the angle of the photograph, but do your faucets drip out, past the drip tray? Might want to mount that out a bit as well?

nope, they do drip out further. I thought about that a little late into this project and glued up a few pieces of scrap oak to use as a spacer for the drip tray as well. Since the drip tray spacer was an after thought, that is currently sitting in the garage with the 2nd coat of finish on it. Need to put one more coat on it and then get that installed too......and in the mean time I have a role of paper towels on top of the kegerator :mug:

Those handles look awesome ..home made? I'm kinda wood working challenged ..What kind of wood are they, and how did the pattern get on them?

Those handles look awesome ..home made? I'm kinda wood working challenged ..What kind of wood are they, and how did the pattern get on them?

Thank you! and yes, those are homemade. The wood is Maple and Cherry. The pattern was made by gluing the boards together to make a solid chunk of wood, and then it was turned out on the lathe.

The whole project was just kind of slapped together one weekend with some scrap lumber I had left over from another project. That pattern on the side of the left handle was actually a mistake on my part(someone didn't glue that one up perfectly and/or didn't get it mounted on the lathe squarely). I had intended there to be an equal amount of cherry on both sides of the maple, but since I was off a little bit this is what I got
IMG_20111109_211018.jpg

However, I do kinda like how that left one turned out(slightly off center) better than my initial plan for it :drunk:

Back