Ran an experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gclay

Reaction score
Well I ran a little experiment today, I toasted 2 pounds of 2-row at 4 different levels.

Wet 45 mins
Wet 1 hour
Dry 25 mins
Dry 45 mins

Just by looking at them you can't really see any difference, but you sure can smell the difference. Wet malt definately smelled sweeter where dry was toastier.

I'll be brewing 2 batches this weekend, the first will have the wet 45 and dry 25, and the other will have the dry 45 and wet 1 hour. I hope the color will be a nice red and slightly sweet. I saw the dry toasting on Basic Brewing and the 25 min dry looked amazing.

I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Gerald

Sorry yeah I did it in the oven preheated.

The dry I toasted at 300 and the wet at 350 uncovered. I steeped some grains in 4 glasses and I could see some difference in colors. Nothing like the video though but I guess they steeped more than I did. I'm just going to be doing 2.5 gallon batches to see How things worked out. oh yeah wet means I soaked them for 2 hours in warm water.

Back