Too much sparge water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Ok, I made a mistake on my calculations last month while doing my first double batch of beer and ended up adding 2 extra gallons of sparge water. Post boil amount ended up only one gallon high and my OG wasn't really all that far off.

My question is, what should I expect from this over sparge? Now that it's almost through with fermentation, it tastes a little sour. I only ask because I'm debating bottling 120 beers or half that and then kegging the other half

Thanks

Yes, I brewed a double batch expecting 11 gallons post boil. After adding 2 extra gallons for sparge water I ended up with 12 gallons post boil.

So, I figure close to 60 bottles per batch

I think you beer should be fine but that comes from me doing the same thing a few times. I learned to make a volume stick for my kettle so I could see how much wort I had after each round of batch sparging. This is just a wood dowel that has markings on the sides. How many sparges did you do for this recipe?

Two sparges. After calculating (incorrectly) my total sparge I split it in two and sparged twice. It was my first time in my new 15 gallon kettle, but I was at the top after the second sparge and that's when I knew I was screwed. So once again, I went back and figured out that I used two gallons too much for my sparge.

But yours turned out ok, huh?

I try to keep extra dry malt extract on hand just in case I over sparge the grain and end up with too much to try to boil down. I have done about 10 all grain batches and had this happen twice and things turned out OK but my FG was just a just little low. I now use beersmith for correcting things like this. I can figure out if I have too much pre-boil volume how much DME I need to add. I usually add the DME the last 10 minutes of the boil.

I have not moved up to a 15 gallon kettle so I will be curious to hear how your beer turns out. What were you making?

Back