First AG batch! Question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phishalot

Reaction score
Hello All,

I brewed my first all grain amber 2 nights ago. I pitched the yeast and transferred to my primary 6 gal plastic bucket. It looked a little too full to just put an airlock on it and call it good because I was worried about it popping off. I didnt have a blow off tube... so I stirrred the bucket a bit and transferred some of the brew to one of my glass carboys to ferment seperatley. Now, I am seeing that the glass carboy has been bubbling alot more than the bucket. I see that the glass carboy also has more yeast on the bottom and a nice krausen on top. Should I transfer this (carefully) back into my plastic bucket?

Sounds like you may have gotten an unfair share of the yeast in the carboy.

The fewer bubbles from the bucket means nothing. The seals on those buckets are notoriously not airtight, so some CO2 is leaving from the airlock and some from the bucket seal. Nothing at all to worry about.

Relax, don't worry, and start saving bottles for your homebrew.

Thanks for your help. When it comes time, should I transfer them both to secondary at the same time and into the same carboy?

I have plenty of bottles :tank:

What if...
So let's assume he's at the end of primary fermentation and the FG of the carboy batch is ok, but the FG of the amount in the bucket is too high? What should he do? Should he leave a little bit of beer on the yeast cake in the carboy, swirl, and pour into the bucket and allow to ferment a few more days?

Back