A partial Mash Day with Pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
I have been building my way towards all grain over the past couple of months, but my supply line is starting to run low so I needed to brew.

I have been wanting to brew this Moose Drool clone for awhile, so I went for it with a partial mash recipe.

Here is the recipe converted from AG with beersmith and original put together from the Jamil and Tasty show where they cloned it. I don't know how much the mash times and volumes will help but this is mainly for the ingredients.

I hope it helps you out.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Moose Drool PM
Brewer: Matt
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.92 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 19.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.71 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 62.70 %
2.19 lb Great Western American Pale (3.0 SRM) Grain 24.04 %
0.94 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.36 %
0.26 lb Chocolate Malt (400.0 SRM) Grain 2.90 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.2 IBU
0.60 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.60 oz Liberty [4.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 3.40 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 5.10 qt of water at 159.5 F 150.0 F

I have done several extract plus steeping grains, and have tried partial mashing on the stove but had troubles maintaining temp. So I saw this cooler at Target and grabbed it up

Picture103.jpg

While I was getting the ingredients at the LHBS I picked up a large grain bag to fit inside of the cooler

Picture105.jpg

To get the day started, I poured myself the last of a nut brown I brewed back in December. (By the way, this was bottled using the BMBF on New Years, and just look at it :ban:)

Picture114.jpg

The ingredients ready to roll. I started with 7 gallons of bottled water from the store. I usually use our own tap water, but wanted to try something different.

Picture102.jpg

Heating the mash water

Picture115.jpg

I pre-heated the cooler with 180 degree water for 10 minutes before adding the 165 degree strike water at a ratio of 1.375 quarts per pound. For this recipe of 3.39 pounds I used a total of 4.661 qts of water.

Adding the strike water

Picture123.jpg

Mashing in
Picture129.jpg

Then I stirred the heck out of it to make sure it was well mixed in

Picture131.jpg

I came up a little short on the temp, but thankfully I had a quart of water on to boil and some ice standing by to make for quick adjustments either way.

Picture145.jpg

2 Cups of boiling water brought it right up to target at 153, so I closed it up

Picture146.jpg

And wrapped it in towels

Picture148.jpg

I then headed outside to put a gallon of water in the boil kettle and to start it up. Unfortunately this is what I found

Picture163.jpg

So back inside, I checked the temp at 1/2 hour and it was still holding at 153 :ban: so I gave it a good stir, and closed it back up.

The rain stopped about 15 minutes later and I was able to put a gallon of water in the boil kettle to heat.

I was also heating another 2 gallons to 180 degrees to sparge.

After another 1/2 hour (total mash time 1 hour) It was time to vorlauf

Picture175-1.jpg

After recirculating and pulling off the sweet wort, I added 5.5 quarts of 180 degree sparge water. The grain bed settled at 168 degrees. I left this sit for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile I took the first runnings out to the boil kettle and added them to the already heated gallon from earlier. I left this over to flame to start the boil and to kill enzyme activity (sorry, no pics of this)

After 10 minutes I pulled the second runnings:

Picture175.jpg

Vorlaufed

Picture176.jpg

And then added 5.5 quarts of 170 degree water to the cooler.

I took the second runnings and added them to the first.

At this time I put the rest of the water on the stovetop to heat. Once heated I added the liquid extract to the water so it would be dilluted before adding to the brew kettle.

Another 10 minutes and I ran off the final runnings and added them to the boil kettle. By this time, it was approaching boiling.

After all the wort was added to the boil kettle I added the pre-dilluted and heated extract.

I added all the extract and all three runnings to the boil kettle by slowly pouring it in using a little stainless steel pot. I ended up with just over 6.5 gallons in the kettle pre-boil.

Picture183.jpg

Since I had everything pre-heated it didnt' take long to reach boil and the first hops addition

Picture184.jpg

After an hour boil and two more hops additons it was time to chill.

Picture190.jpg

I kept the first of the water from the chiller for cleanup duty.

Picture191.jpg

A few issues with this brew.

1. It was raining :mad:
2. I forgot to smack the smack pack until the boil was done! The good news here is it took awhile to cool even after the chiller, so it had two hours to get ready.
3. While pulling the second runnings the power went out (but it came back on in about 5 minutes)
4. I couldn't get all the hops varieties from the LHBS So I used 100% Fuggle.

I was shooting for an OG of 1.054 but overshot a bit with 1.064. I was right at 5 gallons (I think) post boil. I tasted the hydro sample, and I cannot wait for this one to get done!

All in all, it was a great brew day. I put the carboy in my new brew closet and pitched the yeast at midnight. By 7 AM I awoke the sweet sound of bubbles through the blowoff tube :ban:

I just checked on it, and its goin nuts:rockin:

No blowoff, but a huge krasen and bubbling away. I am gonna sleep so good tonight with the sweet sound of fermenting beer bubbling in my ears :D

I'm sure you know but all you're lacking from going AG appears to be a larger cooler and a braid/FB. I've done two now and there's no mystery to them even with dealing with crappy thermometers. I did my PM's with Deathbrewer's bag method, was a good way to get started although was more messy due to draining bags and such.

I'm sure you know but all you're lacking from going AG appears to be a larger cooler and a braid/FB. I've done two now and there's no mystery to them even with dealing with crappy thermometers. I did my PM's with Deathbrewer's bag method, was a good way to get started although was more messy due to draining bags and such.

Yep, I got the cooler and braid in the budget for next month. I have another keg cut and need to put in the bulkhead for an HLT and buy another burner. That way I can be 100 % outside during the summer months. I will probably still employ this method during the cold months as I can't see heating that much water on my poor little stove.

I am going to outfit this little cooler with a braid as well, just didn't get it done for this one.

Honestly I could see doing AG with only a MLT and BK. You can hold the runnings in an Ale Pail until the sparge water is out of the BK then transfer, just a way to save some $$$ if you need to. I'm still in the kitchen but am trying to plan out a natural gas rig to tap off my house's NG. By the way, Home Depot has the 10G round coolers for $37 if you're looking for a round alternative. I got that and a ball valve kit and FB from MW supply and have been really happy with everything, no leaks or stuck sparges although the rices hulls have helped I'm sure.

I will check out Home Depot here and see if they have the large coolers.

For me, this is an easy way to get better beer with the equipment I already have. In the winter I will probably just use the turkey fryer pot that I already have a do these as a partial boil on the stove.

i tried moose drool when i went to mall of america, gooood brew! i may make this for my nextr brown ale!! I too am partial mashing in a cooler, thanks for be soo specific on strike temps and amounts, it will make it all go better donw the line!

Awesome post!

Pics are teh bestor!

If I had seen more pictorials like this (or looked for some), I know I would have gone AG much sooner. Nice work.

Thanks, doing this has definitley given me the confidence for my first true all grain.

i tried moose drool when i went to mall of america, gooood brew! i may make this for my nextr brown ale!! I too am partial mashing in a cooler, thanks for be soo specific on strike temps and amounts, it will make it all go better donw the line!

Moose Drool is by far my favorite commercial beer, I hope this recipe comes even close. The pre-heating of the cooler really helped hold the temps and keeping a quart of boiling water and some ice ready for quick adjustments was important. I only needed the 2 cups of boiling water for the mash in, but I had them ready for each step, just in case.

Last night I was lulled to sleep by sounds of this beer bubbling through the blowoff tube in the brew closet. SWMBO asked "what is that noise?" :D

Ditto to the It's friggin Easy after you've done one or two.

Also To the doing Ag with only a MLT and BK. That's what I do. I hold my runnings in 5G buckets from Menards until the last sparge then transfer them to BK. I plan on building Pol's EHLT, but it works fine without it.

SWMBO got up to use the facilities monday night and said she couldn't go back to sleep cuz of the gurgle gurgle from this beer. I slept like a baby :)

I feel so stupid. I use the same cooler setup but I've always had issues getting all the grain mixed in well enough. I had been tying the bag in a knot and dropping it down in the strike water, then gently poking and prodding at the bag for a few minute to mix the grain in. I'm never convinced I have the entire amount of grain good and mixed in. Next time I'll drape the bag over the edge like you have it so I can have more room to mix the grain.

After draping the bag over the edge do you tighten the lid all the way by screwing it on? Does this damage the bag or does the bag hinder the lid from completely closing?

After draping the bag over the edge do you tighten the lid all the way by screwing it on? Does this damage the bag or does the bag hinder the lid from completely closing?

I was able to close the lid with no problems, and no issues with the bag.

I got the same cooler. I like the idea of getting the extract going in a different pot. I use mostly dry extract and hate the clumping. I'm going to have to try this recipe - big fan of brown ales. Did I read correctly, you sparged three times?

Keep us informed on the progress!

Yes I ran it three times. The last time I just added 5.5 qts of 170 degree water and let it sit while I was adding the extract to the other pot. Probably no need to do the last sparge, but I figured why not?

I hope this beer turns out good, the american brown is my favorite styea and I love the commercial version of this beer.

Menards has a greater selection of coolers. For my HLT I just use my 5 gal pot that I already had. Also I put my runnings into my BK. Its a beast to lift when I have it full though.

Good stuff. I enjoy all the pictures. I am slowly building up equipment to go to all grain, so seeing the pictures and the detailed process really helps out.

Latest posts

Back