Mr Beer Home Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodBrew

Reaction score
Has anyone here tried the "MrBeer Home Brewery"? I got it as a gift from my brother and I was just curious for feedback. I started my first batch last night, and it seems to be fermenting according to the instructions already.

If anyone has tried this kit out can you compare it to the kits like the ones sold through other sites, and/or any advice on how to make my brew better?

MrBeer can be found at www.mrbeer.com.

Thanks,
GoodBrew

personally never tried this kit
i went straight to plastic 5 gallon buckets and then glass carboys
i am sure it will make beer but you can probably make better and more beer with the bucket/carboy system.
7 days to bottle seems a little quick to me.
i like the rule of 1 week primary,2weeks secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle.
try the mr. beer - it will at least give you some experience - good luck

Yeah, I figure I'll try it out. Even if it's not that good it already has me curious to try out more with home brewing. Whether it works out well or not I'll still probably get a better system to make some better (and more) brew. Reading about it in these forums is making me want to do it even more.

Thanks.

GoodBrew said:
Yeah, I figure I'll try it out. Even if it's not that good it already has me curious to try out more with home brewing. Whether it works out well or not I'll still probably get a better system to make some better (and more) brew. Reading about it in these forums is making me want to do it even more.

Thanks.

To quote those here far more knowledgeable than I,

"Welcome to the addiction" :rockin:

Ize

GoodBrew said:

Thanks.

This could cost $$ you!

GoodBrew said:

Thanks.

People have fun with Mr. Beer. That's what counts at first. Getting interested in the process and actually making BEER! I would imagine that you will find yourself gazing at the thing, much like people watching fish in an aquarium. If it had a regular air lock, where you could see the bubbles of CO2 escaping, much more so.

I've read here where quite a number of people started out with Mr. Beer. I've never seen anyone curse the things. Though, most usually went on to expand their horizons eventually.

With making two gallon batches, you can also try different varieties of beer, without discovering you have made five gallons of something you don't really care for.

A must read for the aspiring beer brewer:

www.howtobrew.com

Enjoy.... :)

I haven't used Mr. Beer, but from what other people on here have said it is fun, easy to use, and makes pretty decent beer.
If you try it and like it, before too long you will outgrow it due to it's limitations and move up to a full 5 gallon brewing kit.
It sounds like a good way to get started if you're not sure how long or how often you'll brew, or if you just don't drink that much beer :confused:

While the rule of thumb is three weeks in the bottle, I've started cracking them open in as little as four or five days (as have most here, except the most patient among us). You need to monitor their progress carefully of course.

GoodBrew said:

Thanks.

And so it begins..............:tank:

I've used mr. beer a lot. It got me into this hobby. The only advice i'd give you is this:

DON'T FOLLOW THEIR TIMELINE DIRECTIONS.

The Mr. Beer people want it to seem easy and fast. It is easy. But don't try to make it faster than it is. Give it 2 WEEKS in the Mr. Beer kegermenter and all will be good for you and your beer. Don't rush that poor little packet of yeast they give you. Let those little guys do their thing until they are totally satiated, and your beer is totally fermented.

Have fun, above all! I've made some very tasty beer from Mr. Beer.

For what it's worth, I'm brewing my 4th batch with Mr. Beer, and I've been very happy with it. You can experiment a little with it (adding hops pellets, using there recipes, etc.), but I do see how it is limiting. I've created the best beer I've ever had with this system.

Thanks everyone!

I think I have something to say to everyone who has replied to my message:

To rod: Even though I replied right after your message I'm still inclined to say that no matter what I'll probably still upgrade to a better system once I learn a little more about it.

To Ize and ablrbrau: I think you're hearing me loud and clear.

To fa1321tx: I don't know exactly where you're going with you're comment. It may cost money to learn, but it still seems fun. If I learn it in the end then it should save me money in the end. MrBeer was a gift, so I won't lose too much. And I've been reading about homebrewing over the last few days, and I really have some drive to learn about it.

To Lounge Lizard: I am having fun with my Mr. Beer, and I think your right. That is what counts at first. I have been looking at my kegermentor everyday to see if it looks any different. I think I will be one of the people you mention who will expand my horizons (and I haven't even finished my first batch). I also like how you point out the that 2-gallon batches may be better in the beginning so that I don't make 5-gallons of something I don't want. I was almost ready to purchase a big setup until I read that. Good lookout. Thanks. And another "thank you" for www.howtobrew.com. I checked it out and it seems really good for us newbies.

To TWolf10: If I like brewing then I'll do it often, and I certainly drink enough to sustain a large brew. I may even need several of those 5-gallon systems.

To SteveM: It's only been a couple of days and I already feel the eagerness you described. I'm going to fight it with every inch of my being.

To Monk: This may be the best advice so far given my current situation. I thought one week seemed a little too soon. Especially since the instructions said you may still see some haziness (or clumps of yeast I think was their words). Why not give it a chance to really settle down? I was wondering how safe it would be to let it sit longer. I'll try to fight SteveM's advice even more and give it the full two weeks. I'm assuming after that I should let it sit bottled in a warm (or room temperature) environment for another week before refrigerating.

To dheide: You say you're on your 4th batch and that you have created the "best beer [you've] ever had with this system." How did you make your favorite brew with Mr. Brew?

I was really happy to hear all of your responses. I think this may be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Thanks again!
GoodBrew

Thanks for kind words.

I'm pretty sure fa1321tx was only seconding the idea of this being an addictive hobby, and that sometime down the road you will be shelling out dollars for more equipment. Even so, this hobby isn't as expensive as collecting 60s era muscle cars, for example. And there is the satisfaction of crafting your own quality beer. Your friends and acquaintances will be in awe. Start talking about homebrewing at a party and everyone will stop to listen... :)

Oh, two weeks in the bottles is better than one....

GoodBrew said:
Has anyone here tried the "MrBeer Home Brewery"? I got it as a gift from my brother and I was just curious for feedback. I started my first batch last night, and it seems to be fermenting according to the instructions already.

If anyone has tried this kit out can you compare it to the kits like the ones sold through other sites, and/or any advice on how to make my brew better?

MrBeer can be found at www.mrbeer.com.

Thanks,
GoodBrew
How much beer do you get from a batch?
EDIT: 2 gallons. I need to research before I post. Duh.

If nothing else, it's a risk-free way to decide if you're up for being a homebrewer.

Are you:
Not content with beers you find at the store?
Looking for an interesting hobby you'll bore your friends about for hours on end?
Looking to convert friends to moochers?
A creative soul with a passion for flavors?
Searching for a smell to fill the house with that will piss off your wife?
Tired of all that money burning a hole in your pocket?
Geeky, but not quite geeky enough?
Only 20 pounds overweight and trying to get to that 50 mark?

Do you:
Own a Jeep?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you'll make a fine home-brewer. Mr. Beer won't last you past a couple of batches, but it's the perfect catalyst to a successful career as a brew geek. Soon your friends will all roll their eyes at you as you explain the AAU's of the hops used for the beer you're drinking. You'll embarass your wife when you go to a brew pub and they don't have the exotic style you're interested in. ("What do you mean you don't have a sour lambic? I thought you guys had a lot of beer here!")

Haha I had trouble finding the exotic types of beers I like even before I started brewing...well my first batch isnt even finished yet! It might have been part of the catalyst to get me to start brewing actually. Luckily there are some restaurants/bars in the city with a great selection of beers...Belgians being my favorite

GoodBrew said:
I'm assuming after that I should let it sit bottled in a warm (or room temperature) environment for another week before refrigerating.

GoodBrew

That's a good idea, I think. I usually let them sit in the bottle even longer--I'll give it 5-7 days before I try one. Then, if the carb is good, I'll put a few in the fridge to chill and leave the others in the closet til I'm going to drink them. As far as leaving the brew in the kegermenter, it should be fine up to three weeks or so. After that, it might start getting yeasty.

Welcome to the fun, Goodbrew. Cheers!

<- started with Mr.B as well. I made my worst beers with it BUT also some really great ones. after you polish off your first OK kit. do not use the booster or table sugar ever again!

after my first kit. I bought a few refill kits (just the cans of extract) BUT added steeping grains, dry malt extract and extra hops to them (according to recipes I found I liked that matched the style of the refill kit I just cut them down to half or so) I used the yeast included but also some generic dry stuff from a local shop sometimes.

I made a heck of a good stout, honey ale, ipa and a couple others before moving to 5 gallon batches years ago (still have her somewhere) don't rush it to bottle it isn't worth it.

READ READ and do more READING - this site and others with the search tool will help out beyond belief. just start small until you get a feel for it you can nly do so much with the kit but it is a great starting point if you already have it.

I think it's kind of fun to try to make the best little batch possible out of the mr beer setup. It's a 40% batch (2 gal), so I always feel like I can experiment and/or make a simple give-away-to-already-drunk-friends batch without wasting much money. I got mr. beer and a bunch of their beer mix cans for Christmas and still have a couple left. I'm thinking of adding some crushed peppermint candy canes to the last can of "vienna lager" I've got :)

Mine lasted exactly 1.5 batches before I was out buying carboys and other cool stuff. It's a great entry into the craft.

Here's some things that I was told when I asked:
Don't use their yeast if possible. Buy yeast from a local homebrew store. Pitch the whole pack even though you are doing 2 gal instead of 5.
Don't use the booster. Always try to use a can of their unhopped malt extract (UME) in place of the booster.
Don't use table sugar. Get some corn sugar (priming sugar) from your local homebrew store to carbonate your beer. Some even use dry malt extract.
Patience is rewarded. My first beer was pretty harsh after 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks in bottles. After 4 weeks in bottles it was much better.

If you want to get more involved after your first couple batches, you can even steep some grains in water before you add all of your ingredients. Any of the Crystal grains will help make it more "complex". A half pound of any darkness (according to beer style) should do the trick. Your local homebrew store can measure and crush the grain for you.

Enjoy the addiction. I got my Mr. Beer for x-mas, and I've already made 7 batches of beer!!! It's fun!!!

I gotta make another round to almost everyone:

First off, Lounge Lizard, I'll brew each batch two weeks in the kegermentor and two weeks in bottles. It may be tough with this being my first batch, but I'll try to hold on an entire month just to have that tasty beer hit my lips. Maybe I'll try one or two early as Monk suggests though.

Cheesefood: I said "yes" to a few of those. So I hope you're right.

Chask31: I work in the city too. What are some of your favorite bars? I'm always looking for good places.

As for jldesign and freyguy: You've both answered a question that has been bothering me. I was wondering why I couldn't just cut some of the instructions in half. And I was also curious how much experimenting could be done with my Mr. Beer. I'll keep both of your comments in mind as I brew more.

I think (in the short term) I may actually purchase a second Mr. Beer Brew Keg. It would only cost $15.00, and I could experiment more. It's been pointed out in this thread that wasting 2 gallons is better than wasting 5 gallons (and I could always pass the bad ones off on some drunk friends). Even 5 gallon starter sets cost much more, and knowing myself I'll want to experiment a lot (and I'll get pissed at a bad 5 gallon batch). Also, If I really want to wait that whole 3-4 weeks for a good brew then a second kegermentor can provide me with twice as much (again with more options for experimenting).

Either way, I've already ordered a couple of extra mixes from the company and I'm waiting for them to be delivered (and I only started my first brew on Friday night). Since I already ordered those in kits (with the booster) I'll try out those flavors, and then I'll experiment with jldesign and freguy's ideas after that.

Once again, many thanks.
GoodBrew

Well if you want to try some good belgians, I would suggest Petite Abeille. On monday its half price for all belgians....and they have a menu of about 30 belgians. They have 4 or so locations, and the mussels and burgers are amazing. www.petiteabeille.com

Croxley Ales is also good for wing night on monday and wednesday. About 50 beers on tap. It is in alphabet city, but I usually go to the one on the island (new hyde park and rockville centre) http://www.croxley.com/

Down the block from mcsorleys is another spot that has alot of belgians called burp castle/the brewist monk. its on 7th street on the east side. and of course mcsorleys as long as it is not a busy night.

Those are the beer spots...not the spots to pick up girls really

My wife gave me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas a couple of years ago but I've only recently started making beer. The first was the Derailment Porter and it turned out to be very good. The second was the Honey Brown Ale, it's ok but not my type of beer but my brothers like it. I'm working on a Blueberry Bock, it's in secondary fermentation right now. I'm thinking about making the West Coast Pale Ale that came with the kit tomorrow. I like the small size fermentor keg and I might get another one so I can make two differnt brews a week apart.

I have been brewing for about 3 years now, and I have never moved past the Mr. Beer system. The Mr. Beer system is easy to use, and I have had great success with many of the recipes on their site. I don't drink (or have enough people around to drink) the amount of beer that a 5 gallon system would produce, and I don't really see the benefit in doing complicated all grain brews. A friend of mine does all grain, and just this past fall he did an all grain pumpkin, and I did the Pumpkin Lager listed on the Mr. Beer site. We actually both agreed mine came out better. That could be due to a lot of things, but the point is that the Mr. Beer system can work just fine. It is a high quality, food grade fermenter, and despite trying a number of other malt extracts based on things I read in forums, I have decided to stick with Mr. Beer malt. A number of tips such as allowing for longer fermenting times, using specialty liquid yeasts, using all malt (no Booster) and adding grains will certainly improve the beer you can make with Mr. Beer. I have actually been very happy with company service too. Their brewmaster is quite knowledgeable and returns emails very quickly.

Too many people write off Mr. Beer based on the fact they try to make this hobby accessible to people with possibly limited budgets and maybe limited time. I particularly recall a review that I found on the internet that bashed Mr. Beer that some of you may have seen. The reviewer stated that he read the directions verbatim and made a barely drinkable mess. At one point he contended that the Mr. Beer instructions did not say anything about sanitation. Funny, my Mr. Beer directions have that as a first and crucial step. They have a fine product that builds a good base for learning this craft versus some of the other quickie systems such as The Beer Machine (drink beer off yeast?!) The system has sold over 500,000 units, and I think it is doing a great service for this hobby. I encourage anyone reading this board interested in trying out the hobby to give Mr. Beer a try. Just get some Light Malt Extract (or Mr. Beer's Pale Export Unhopped Malt Extract) to replace the Booster with your West Coast Pale Ale kit, and you will be hooked.

I'm new to the boards, and after making my first batch with Mr. Beer of beer 2 weeks ago, and Hard cider... finished yesterday.

I AM HOOKED

I'm looking now at the best kit to go to, because the reward of pouring a glass of brew you made, it having a nice head and great taste is just amazing lol. I cant wait to do two fermentations etc and make better and better beer. Good luck with your Mr Beer :)

Back