Roggenbier Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Along with other modifications, my recipe is light on rye for a traditional Roggenbier, but this is my first time using rye so I wanted to be conservative and also use some other ingredients that I have on hand. The plan is to brew this over the Memorial Day weekend. Any suggestions or opinions?

5 gallon batch
Estimated OG: 1.059
Estimated Bitterness: 17 IBU
Estimated Color: 17 SRM
Mash: 30 min @ 110 dgrs / 60 min @ 152 dgrs
90 minute boil

6 lbs Maris Otter
3 lbs German Pilsner
3 lbs Flaked Rye
.4 lbs Chocolate Wheat

.5 oz Fuggles FWH
.5 oz Fuggles 60 minutes
.5 oz Fuggles 5 minutes

Wyeast 3944 Witbier (2nd generation)

looks good. i need to try some of that chocolate wheat, sounds like great stuff.
I can vouch for it. Great stuff. I think I may even prefer it more than chocolate barley malt, etc. On a side note, I think that German smoked malt is awesome. It's smoother than peated malt, the taste isn't overpowering and the aroma blends well. Personally, I'm looking forward to making a beer with German smoked malt, chocolate wheat and a good bit of rye. :D

Getting ready to brew this today. The only thing that I’m still questioning my decision on is the hop selection. I recently did an all Fruggles amber that came out excellent. It left me feeling that Fuggles was a hop that would also work well with a Rye, but now I’m starting to second guess the decision. Looking over other recipes for traditional Roggenbier, I see Hallertau, Tettnang, Saaz, but not Fuggles.

I have Hallertau and Tettnang. Should I go with my original plan and hope to create something unique (and good) or be more cautious?

The Tett, Hallertau, and Saaz are probably used because they complement the wheat and the spiciness of the rye. I'm sure the fuggles would work out well though. I vote for giving the fuggles a whirl if you're feeling a little adventerous. You'll have a tasty summer beverage either way.

Jamo99, thanks for the support. Except for a couple of tweaks to the mash schedule, I’ll go with what is posted above. Let you all know how it turns out in a couple of months.

Started late, so didn’t finish up till after midnight, drinking my IPA the whole time. Did a minimal clean up and crashed. Took a peek (while making a bathroom run) at around 4am and found a happy airlock. Still a little druck this morning.

I took a sample but didn’t look at it until this morning. Hit 1.053. Efficiency not great but well within style.

I read about brewers here drinking their sample of wort. I’ve tried it, but always thought it was nasty. This rye recipe is something else. Really nice flavor even before any fermentation. Great breakfast drink!

The chocolate wheat did a good job of getting the beer into the style color range and I’m sure contributed to some of the great sample taste. Here it is:

BrewDay080525-6.jpg

We'll, the result are in. We had a get together this weekend. On tap was a half keg of an Edwort style Pale Ale, a full keg of White and the seven week old Roggenbier. The Ale and White were pretty light the next morning, but the Roggen didn’t make it through the night. It was a huge hit. Between grilling and other host duties I misplaced my glass a few times. The good thing about this was that as this beer warms, the flavor and aroma of the rye really comes through.

Great party. My daughter brought a huge tenderloin. My son brought up fresh crab from Maryland and made crab cakes. I did ribs and burgers and my wife went all out with the side dishes. First taste of this seasons Jersey sweet corn. Volley ball, horse shoes, friends and family. In the morning there were bodys scattered around the yard and house. Wife made stuffed french toast from the left over buns. It all added up to a fantastic weekend.

Back