Add one more to the list Ed Wort...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KD5LEF

Reaction score
Just finished bottling a cream ale (last wed) and yesterday I started a batch of Ed's Apfelwein. Ohh... almost forgot - a brewers best kit (shh.. it's only my 2nd brew) Amber Cerveza Style (xx) that I will do tonight or tomorrow night.

I just started my first batch of Apfelwein on friday. I was surprised how quickly fermentation took off. And i don't know if it's supposed to but the airlock smells REALLY bad!

Ahh yes the infamous rhino farts, so in a short answer yes it is supposed to smell that way :) It will pass after 2 or 3 days so not much to worry about there. As for the fermentation taking off rather quickly, that is pretty much in the norm as well. It starts off pretty quick, but can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to fully finish. If you have time read the whole Apfelwein thread, there is a wealth of information in there.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860&

Oh yeah, i've read extensively on the Apfelwein thread. So i was fully expecting what happened. But man, i didn't expect the airlock to smell that bad!

Yeah that first time can be a little off putting. I have noticed it isn't nearly as bad with Nottingham, so I don't think I have ever received the full effect, but I am really ok with that. :D

I actually used a completely different yeast for this one. I kinda didn't want that dryness that everyone talks about with the Montrachet so instead i used Weihenstaphen. We'll see how it turns out.

mullimat said:
I just started my first batch of Apfelwein on friday. I was surprised how quickly fermentation took off. And i don't know if it's supposed to but the airlock smells REALLY bad!
Just blame it on the SWMBO:D

Back