Noob-ish questions on primary, secondary + adding flavourings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikepeas

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just kicked off my 3rd homebrew. I've learnt a couple of things from previous brews (be careful when siphoning, use bottled water, sterilise everything properly, etc) so I'm hoping that this will be a really good one. I really just wanted to run a few things but you guys to see what you thought.

Primary fermentation:
Just kicked this off in the brewing bucket in the kitchen which should keep the temperature pretty constant. I've left previous attempts for 2 - 3 weeks until the bubbles stop coming through but was wondering whether to go for 3 - 4 weeks this time?

Secondary fermentation (in a keg):
So after primary, I put the beer in to the secondary barrel. Last time I also added some fruit for extra flavour at this stage along with the priming sugar. Does that make sense you? I normally don't bother with bottling but might do a couple this time. Last time I left it in the keg for about a week before drinking which worked pretty well. I haven't bothered with a carbonator before but might give one of those a go this time as well.

So I suppose what I'm looking for is a sanity check. Does this sound right to you guys? Any other tips, tricks or advise are more than welcome!

Make sure you're keeping internal ferment temps in the yeast's sweet spot for one. then let it ferment down to a stable Fg,maybe 2 weeks,2.5 weeks. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up fermentation by products & settle out clear or slightly misty. No secondary needed unless you want to. I get clear beers without one. I bottle,no kegging equipment yet.

Hey,

Sorry that it's taken a while to respond but thanks for getting back to me.
I think I'll stick with the keg. I might bottle 1 though.

Cheers!

Ian

The only concern I could see is adding fruit to the keg with priming sugar. Depending on the fruit and how much of it you're using you are potentially adding a lot more fermentable sugar to the mix. Which in a pressurized container could cause issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Back