Water Report Google Map - Add Your Info!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So, after looking around i realize there are a ton of people on this forum and others that are looking to get information on their water and must submit to the Ward labs like we all do when so many of us can simply use information from our neighbors who have already gotten it done.

With that in mind i created this quick google maps with my Ward Labs test report information, and hope that others that are using community water lines or wells or spring water can post their info on this map as well. Obviously you dont need to pin your house, but just the general area.
Hopefully from here and some other forums we can fill this map up so future homebrewers can get the info without having to pay Ward Labs for the same information!

Click on the "draw a line" icon in the top middle of the page, or simply use a pin if you dont know the area your water is served too.
Outline that area that your water comes from.
Fill out city and state along with date.
Add in water data and save.
Then, go to the legend in the upper left, and change the color.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zGlCuJj4bXSc.kjCSuYRmKATI

PS - Mods i think this fits best in this forum, as everyone here are people who actually have water reports and care, if this is the wrong spot sorry!

Seems like a good idea. Nice work.

Couple things for the suggestion box...

It would be nice if you could draw a blob or polygon to define the area the analysis is probably good for. I could add the Portland Water Bureau service area boundary pretty easily.

It would also be nice to color-code the point or area based on the water source (well, municipal, spring). Might be helpful for the well people to know who else has test results nearby.

True...i did just change mine and add some color coding test points for people to go off of, thanks!

Thanks guys! Getting quite a few points now...ill be doing my best to keep it clean and remove empty nodes that people add that stick around more than a few days.

If I were looking here for a water profile, there would be a few things I'd like to see. So it would be helpful to encourage users to include the following with each upload:

1. Source of analysis (Ward, city, etc)
2. Date of analysis
3. Multiple data points for a given area are welcome

Since a water source can vary day-to-day, I'd be looking for the most recent. As well as others to get a feel for the variations to expect. Nothing will be as good as a sample taken from your faucet on brew day, but I'd hate to see people not include their data because someone already input numbers from 3 years ago.

Cool idea! I added mine (Central VA). While this is a cool idea for city water users if they happen to find someone in their city who posted a report it is pretty pointless for those on well water as the aquifer mineralogy can differ by just a couple miles.

EDIT: Well water FTW!!! Everyone's city water pH is around 7.5 but my deep well pH is 6.6!

Cool idea! I added mine (Central VA). While this is a cool idea for city water users if they happen to find someone in their city who posted a report it is pretty pointless for those on well water as the aquifer mineralogy can differ by just a couple miles.

Yes, but I doubt the differences will be that dramatic WRT hardness and alkalinity. Iron, sulfur and sulfate seem to be the things that vary. Given your location I'd guess you have alkalinity of about 80 and total hardness of around 100. Am I that far off?

EDIT: Well water FTW!!! Everyone's city water pH is around 7.5 but my deep well pH is 6.6!
Don't know what FTW means but this pH is quite normal for well water in mesic regions. Water pH (which is of secondary importance to a brewer) is determined by partial pressure of CO2. In mesic regions where soil bacteria reside their respirations increase PaCO2 by orders of magnitude and well pH is low - typically in the 6's as is yours. Let the water stand exposed to air for a while and the pH will rise.

Ive been wanting to get my water report, but conveniently someone already posted a report from right down the road! Only been in the works a few days and already its been of help! Great Idea!

Ive been wanting to get my water report, but conveniently someone already posted a report from right down the road! Only been in the works a few days and already its been of help! Great Idea!

Good to hear!

Added my well in Burlington, WI. Quite interesting to see the similarities and differences to a well in the same county, but a few miles away.

I am adding the map link to my signature.
Why not put the word out to encourage participation?

Added Amherst, MA, both the region and a map pin.
included water source, date, and laboratory

Great idea. I will be mailing back my Ward Labs test tomorrow, and hopefully have some data for Sarasota, FL by the end of the week.

Yes, but I doubt the differences will be that dramatic WRT hardness and alkalinity. Iron, sulfur and sulfate seem to be the things that vary. Given your location I'd guess you have alkalinity of about 80 and total hardness of around 100. Am I that far off?
Not a bad estimate!
Total Hardness: 85
Alkalinity (CaCO3): 62
RA Effective Hardness: 69
Residual Alkalinity (RA): 42

Don't know what FTW means but this pH is quite normal for well water in mesic regions. Water pH (which is of secondary importance to a brewer) is determined by partial pressure of CO2. In mesic regions where soil bacteria reside their respirations increase PaCO2 by orders of magnitude and well pH is low - typically in the 6's as is yours. Let the water stand exposed to air for a while and the pH will rise.
FTW = For The Win Kinda fell out of internet lingo at least in US recently but it was highly overused in the past 10 years, still can't kick the habit. Can you refer me to any good reads on how water pH can rise when exposed to air? I had my well water tested by the health department and the bacteria count was undetectable. I have a 30' well casing and a 320' deep well.

Not a bad estimate!
Total Hardness: 85
Alkalinity (CaCO3): 62
RA Effective Hardness: 69
Residual Alkalinity (RA): 42

FTW = For The Win Kinda fell out of internet lingo at least in US recently but it was highly overused in the past 10 years, still can't kick the habit. Can you refer me to any good reads on how water pH can rise when exposed to air? I had my well water tested by the health department and the bacteria count was undetectable. I have a 30' well casing and a 320' deep well.

I thought it was the other way around, and that exposing it to air increased the acidity(lowers the PH). If i remember correctly from the Water book its due to the water absorbing more CO2 and making carbonic acid.

Not about beer, but i believe this explains the same actual process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification

Sarasota, FL 34231 added.

pH 7.3
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm 342
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.57
Cations / Anions, me/L / 5.8 5.7
ppm
Sodium, Na 39
Potassium, K 5
Calcium, Ca 45
Magnesium, Mg 19
Total Hardness, CaCO 3 192
Nitrate, NO 3 -N 0.5 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO 4 -S 58
Chloride, Cl 41
Carbonate, CO 3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO 3 60
Total Alkalinity, CaCO 3 49
Total Phosphorus, P 0.46
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

-- edit -- figured out how to add carriage returns.

1. Type or paste the text into Notepad, Word, Wordpad or some other text editor.

Amherst, MA
Town Water Supply
2/21/2013
Analysis by Ward Laboratories
6.4 pH

2. Add an EXTRA carriage return, that is , double-space your text like this:

Amherst, MA

Town Water Supply

2/21/2013

6.4 pH

3. Select and copy the text from your editor.
4. When you paste it into the note , RIGHT-CLICK and select "Paste as plain text"
5. Save.
It should appear like this:

Amherst, MA
Town Water Supply
2/21/2013
6.4 pH

I thought it was the other way around, and that exposing it to air increased the acidity(lowers the PH). If i remember correctly from the Water book its due to the water absorbing more CO2 and making carbonic acid.

The water in question comes from a well in a mesic region (close enough to where I live that I can guess what it is like) and as such will be saturated with CO2 when brought to the surface probably at a pH of 6.4 or so. It will, therefore, lose CO2 to the atmosphere until it is at equilibrium with it and with the carbonate and bicarbonate in the water and any chalk that might precipitate. The partial pressure of CO2 in the water is higher than the partial pressure of CO2 in the air and CO2 will move to the air. The equilibrium will occur at a higher pH than the pH of the well.

Now if you take deionized water its pH is 7 and the partial pressure of CO2 in it is 0, less than that of the air so, CO2 will move into the water and the pH will drop.

Added Long Island's Suffolk County Water Authority reports link.
Wow. That is a freaking huge amount of information. It would be nice for other places to have that detail, except creating it must have been awfully expensive for the water authority.

I added a new listing for Cincinnati from an analysis I just had done by Wards Laboratory. The results are very similar to what Cincinnati Water Works emailed me last year.

There seems to be a rather large gap for you people in the Midwest, does no one brew out there in the boonies!? ;)

Just added Monroe, CT (bridgeport metro area)

Data from Aquiron 2012 report (current for 3/2014)
Trap falls source, part of greater Bridgeport system
Calcium 14mg/L
Magnesium 2.8mg/L
Iron .02mg/L
Total Hardness 46.7mg/L
Alkalinity 20mg/L
TDS 123mg/L
Sulfate 16ppm
Sodium 13.7ppm
Chloride 18.4ppm

Back