Is there a way to register your brewery name?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
I've got a great idea for a brewery name. It has that great local ring to it. I checked everyplace I could find and it's not currently in use.

Aside from trademarking it is there a way I can claim the name just in case I should decide to go pro?

I did register the URL already so that's mine for the next two years. I checked the local, state, and federal name lists for businesses and they all came back clear. I also searched the trademark site and it also shows the name is clear.

Can't you mail yourself something with the brewery name as the sender or receiver (I thought that at least dates it ... )

or put a notice in the paper (like a dba)

Pretty much as far as my experience, you'd do a fictitious name search, then file papers with state to incorporate your business. I don't think there's any other mechanism to "save" a business name.

Technically you could just buy up all the domain names, file your dba paperwork with the county/state and get a federal tax ID under your totally awesome name. While this will legally reserve your business's name, you'll have to go to court to defend it and spend $1000's on lawyers.

Trademarks are intended to reserve product names -- which is exactly what you want to do. It only costs a few hundred bucks to file yourself, and a few more if you have someone do the paperwork for you. If you feel so strongly about the name and feel your business will take off, I'd trademark it.

Just trademark it. It takes a while (all of mine (6 total) took about 9 months) but if you want to own the name then really you have to do a trademark search at the state library and then file the paperwork. Its easy and cheep. The state will let you know if you can use it or not.

Cheer
Jay

Can't you mail yourself something with the brewery name as the sender or receiver (I thought that at least dates it ... )

or put a notice in the paper (like a dba)

That's an old myth. (See #15) It doesn't establish any ownership rights in regards to trademarks or copyrights.

Register the trademark at the federal level (USPTO), and at the state level. While you're at it, consider registering an LLC (limited liability company) in that name, so that you will be ready to go once you start operating your business.

Back