Boiling down to Volume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yettiman

Reaction score
Hi,

Still very new to BIAB, and still dialing in my system. I have been over shooting my target pre boil volume and then boiling down to my final volume.

Is this good or bad practice?

I normally make heavy chewy dark beers so if the only issue (if there is one) is potential caremalisation, that will be fine.mi would like to know though, as I am going to attempt a Blonde some time this year.

Any advice, gratefully received.

It's fine for dark beers. Depending on how much longer you have to boil it might darken the color and change the flavor of your lighter beers. Extra 15 maybe even 30 minutes would be fine. An hour is definitely too much. If you consistently overshoot your pre-boil volume, you should be able to just cut some water from your strike water and get it right. If you miss by half a gallon then cut your strike water by half a gallon (make sure to compensate on the temperature though)

Thank you,

I though that might be the case, I am trying to get it more accurate each time. I did some test boils before I started brewing, at different volumes, but the boil off rate changed when I added grain, and is different for different start volumes.

But as I brew more, I will have more data to work with, I just wanted to make sure I was not horribly out in these first batches.

Thank you again, VERY much appreciated

Back