First Time Yeast Washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ishraider

Reaction score
So i did a yeast washing for my first time. I mixed both of my 5 gallon carboys together before i did it and added a little less than half gallon of water. Here is what it looks like after 16 hours in the fridge. Does this look right? Looks like the yeast have settled to the bottom without much sediment left behind. Anyways what does everybody think? There are more jars than this just used these two for pics.

IMG_20130518_121252_645.jpg

Haha very sneaky!! This yeast was Nottingham dry yeast that I washed I just brewed a pale ale with my first liquid yeast this year. The California Ale Yeast first time using it. Either way I'm stoked if the yeast washing pans out and works for me cause buying yeast is expensive enough for 10 gallon batches and soon I will be jumping up to a 1 bbl system hopefully.

You can tell there's more settling to occur there. Once it does, you can replace the beer on top with sanitized water (distilled or boiled/cooled) if you want to reduce the exposure to alcohol.

you can tell there's more settling to occur there. Once it does, you can replace the beer on top with sanitized water (distilled or boiled/cooled) if you want to reduce the exposure to alcohol.

+1

So I bottled a Pale Ale on Tuesday and my water was not cooled down enough to pour the water in and wash it. I put the airlock back on the little bit of beer yeast and trub hoping to get to it next day. Well its 2 days later will it still be OK to wash? I was hoping that by putting the airlock back on it would prevent any contamination. What is HBT community's thoughts? Wash it and use it or dump it?

I would suggest brewing another beer and pitch right on top of the yeastcake at this point.

You can probably still wash/rinse it and be safe, but I'd vote for pitching new wort on the cake now :D (it's ready to eat some sugar at this point)

Back