1 Vial of Yeast, Which One?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerspitnight

Reaction score
I will be bringing back some brewing supplies to China after my three week trip home over Christmas. I would like to bring back one vial of liquid yeast to complement the dry yeast I am bringing back; 1 packet Danstar American West Coast, 2 packets US-05, 2 packes S-04, 1 packet of Danstar Nottingham). We generally brew 5 - 6 times between New Years and June.
What style yeast should I bring back to enhance this collection of dry yeasts? We generally brew pale ales and IPAs along with stouts and porters, so I am looking for something that will work with a large number of styles.
Thanks.

WLP004 (Irish Ale) is what I have been using for a number of beers. It ferments cooler than the British strains. With temperature control it yields nice results. Although you might want to go with WLP002 if your fermentation temps are a little higher.

However, both of these are very close to the fermentist S-04 that you have. If it were me I would consider getting something a little different like a Saision yeast. WLP566 is what I have been using, but is seasonal, so it might be hard to find. WLP565 should be similar.

Personally, I would avoid a hefe strain because they only handle short times between repitching. I wouldnt take an english strain, you already have nottingham. I would take an american strain, as I am not a big fan of 05. I have been a big fan of the san diego super yeast lately, and that would be my choice.

beerspitnight said:
I will be bringing back some brewing supplies to China after my three week trip home over Christmas. I would like to bring back one vial of liquid yeast to complement the dry yeast I am bringing back; 1 packet Danstar American West Coast, 2 packets US-05, 2 packes S-04, 1 packet of Danstar Nottingham). We generally brew 5 - 6 times between New Years and June.
What style yeast should I bring back to enhance this collection of dry yeasts? We generally brew pale ales and IPAs along with stouts and porters, so I am looking for something that will work with a large number of styles.
Thanks.

White Labs Cal Ale V.

Thanks for the input guys.
The goal is to wash some yeast and then freeze samples so I can grow a bank of available yeasts for over here.
I like the idea of the 0004 Irish Ale strain. It breaks up the American and English strains that we normally work with.

I think either 029 Kolsch or 007 Dry English Ale. Both can be used in a wide range of styles. 007 is close to the house yeast Stone uses....

I wouldn't use a Saison strain across a wide range of beers..maybe as an experiment but not as an everyday yeast. The Kolsch yeast would be good for any beer that you want to be "lager like". It still is relatively clean up to 65 degrees. The Dry English yeast (007) can be used in the vast majority of beers...especially Pales and IPA's!!

I wouldn't use a Saison strain across a wide range of beers..maybe as an experiment but not as an everyday yeast. The Kolsch yeast would be good for any beer that you want to be "lager like". It still is relatively clean up to 65 degrees. The Dry English yeast (007) can be used in the vast majority of beers...especially Pales and IPA's!!

Yep....This exactly.

I like 029 for brewing a "clean" beer. Like Phunhog said, it gives Lager like results without have to ferment very cool. A Saison is good for that style, but could impart some flavors that might be considered off in other styles.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the Irish ale strain. Apparently I can get 1450 from a supplier over here. Add in the English strain and we should be good to go for a bit.
Next step is to try to slant the yeast so we have a bit of a yeast bank!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the Irish ale strain. Apparently I can get 1450 from a supplier over here. Add in the English strain and we should be good to go for a bit.
Next step is to try to slant the yeast so we have a bit of a yeast bank!

In your situation, slanting seems like a necessity.

Good luck, and good brewing!:mug:

Back