New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks awesome! I would love one of those, how's the clean up looks like it would be pretty ruff!

hungry4hops said:
Looks awesome! I would love one of those, how's the clean up looks like it would be pretty ruff!

Clean up is a snap. Invert the unit and the hop gunk plops right out, hose it off and you are good to go.

image-815299111.jpg

Maybe not as nice looking as chads, but I made this on my lunch break today at work. I'm excited to try it. It's 6 inch diameter and 18 inches tall, made for my keggle. Thanks to chad and the op for the inspiration!

Wow. Nice!

It looks like marcb was able to work with someone to create a new product. This type of information exchange is what the board is all about.

At this point, however, it looks like there should be enough information for anyone to contact the seller directly. If the seller want to talk about this product on equal footing with other vendors the seller should consider contacting the admin about a vendor account.

I bought one to try, if it doesn't work for me, I'll pass it on to someone else locally I reckon.

After my brew day the other week using whole leaf hops and the problems I had there, I need a strainer that works better.
F2B52EB2-A4E7-479E-BB31-F4AEDA4490E7-391-00000022B6B6BA2D.jpg

If you generally use that many whole hops, you're in better shape than you think. You can actually get away with a false bottom, bazooka tube (my favorite), or some other coarse straining method. Pellet hops are just a PITA...too bad they're cheaper, keep longer, and are more readily available.

But ya still gotta deal with the gunk...there's no way around it :mug:

BTW, I've been thinking there may be some value in buying 2 small baskets vs. 1 large. I think there's a point of "critical mass" you reach once you put too many pellets in the basket. The sludge restricts flow....and it blunts the diffusion of later hop additions....especially those 5 and 0 minute additions. Think about it....do you really think that there's any worthwhile diffusion of alpha acids past the screen when you throw new hops into an already very thick hop sludge? Maybe...but certainly not as much as there needs to be.

So maybe it's worthwhile to have a bittering basket and an aroma basket? Or, get rid of the bittering hops, wash it out, around T-10 mins and then add the aroma hops?

BTW, I've been thinking there may be some value in buying 2 small baskets vs. 1 large. I think there's a point of "critical mass" you reach once you put too many pellets in the basket. The sludge restricts flow....and it blunts the diffusion of later hop additions....especially those 5 and 0 minute additions. Think about it....do you really think that there's any worthwhile diffusion of alpha acids past the screen when you throw new hops into an already very thick hop sludge? Maybe...but certainly not as much as there needs to be.

So maybe it's worthwhile to have a bittering basket and an aroma basket? Or, get rid of the bittering hops, wash it out, around T-10 mins and then add the aroma hops?

You know.. I had that same thought.. I really did.. Grab two of the 4in baskets, and put on each side. If you don't pack them, then you will have no issues what so ever.

Once you start tossing tons of hops in, then you get issues I think.

I ordered the 14 on since I needed the extra space, and it's 6in opening.

I generally use whole leaf. I've got a ton of it around here of various kinds, but I do use pellets in stuff that I don't have on hand.

I'm thinking for the FWH, I can put the tube from the tun into the strainer with my hops and let it run over them easily as well.

I might end up getting another tube. I will see how much whole leaf I can cram in there.. Might need two of them for the big DIPA's I do. I think I'll be okay for MOST beers doing this. Worse case, I toss the whole whole leaf right in.. I just need to cut down on the crap in the kettle.

I also thought, hey, for the flame out additions, since they are generally the bigger ones, I could just pull the strainer if it's full, or I could use a hop bag I keep around for the last addition. Since it's not boiling any more I have no issues "floating it" in the kettle. I'll have to play around with it. Hopefully this strainer will work for what I want to do. I was pretty irritated with that mess I had in the kettle. I don't want a bazooka tube in the kettle though.

I've all but given up on hop spiders/bags at this point for my really hoppy IPAs. I find that I lose way too much hop flavor and aroma. I just filter the outgoing chilled wort into the fermenter. It's just so much easier and my beer has improved as a result.

I've all but given up on hop spiders/bags at this point for my really hoppy IPAs. I find that I lose way too much hop flavor and aroma. I just filter the outgoing chilled wort into the fermenter. It's just so much easier and my beer has improved as a result.

For big IPA's, I put the bittering hops in my regular spider, but each addition is then in it's own bag floating around. I've done head-to-head tasting of my Pliny clone against the original and my bittering and aroma came out much better than theirs.

I've really been thinking about one of these SS baskets, but the regular spider has been working pretty good for me.

I'm sorry if I missed this, but when using one of these do you not do any other filtering in the kettle? I'd guess you would recirculate back into the spider to get the break material too and just have a pick up tube a little off center maybe?

I'm sorry if I missed this, but when using one of these do you not do any other filtering in the kettle? I'd guess you would recirculate back into the spider to get the break material too and just have a pick up tube a little off center maybe?

I"m planning on cooling with it all in there, once cool, I will move the filter, whirlpool to settle any particulate that was fine enough to get through, and for the hot and cold break to settle out to empty the kettle.

I'm planning on cooling with it all in there, once cool, I will move the filter, whirlpool to settle any particulate that was fine enough to get through, and for the hot and cold break to settle out to empty the kettle.

Ok, thanks.

I was planning on using a CFC. Currently I'm using a hopstopper and CFC, but I lose siphon if I'm not really careful to slow way down during the last couple of gallons with the hopstopper because of it's design.

Ok, thanks.

I was planning on using a CFC. Currently I'm using a hopstopper and CFC, but I lose siphon if I'm not really careful to slow way down during the last couple of gallons with the hopstopper because of it's design.

I *think* the hopstopper will still be great for leaf hops and the spider will be better for pellets.

I have a hop stopper too and don't run into problems with leaf. Pellets like to jam it up though and I get the same troubles as you towards the end of the kettle.

I sent an autocad file - print to Belleville Wire Cloth in Jersey, and they made me a strainer with their wire mesh next day. Dont get me wrong, I paid for it, but it was fast and its been working great, so why not?

http://www.bwire.com/index.html

Basically a bucket shape - with a bottom and no top. Made of 30 micron wire mesh - with a small handle made of stainless - I will get the pics up asap.

Recirculating back into the spider or basket (before chilling) is always a good idea. Not only does it help push the oils through the bag and into the wort, but it clears everything up. Be careful though, because the bag can clog and overflow if you don't watch your rate.

If you use an IC I wouldn't try this after chilling to try and catch the break...not worth the PITA. It all settles out anyway.

I have done the same thing in the mashtun, putting a hop bag over the output, and it catches a lot of husk.

For the price of hops, I think it's really worth considering the "multi-bag" approach.

I just placed my order for a 300 mesh 6"x14" for my boil kettle.

I am also having him make me a smaller version, about 2 3/4" diam. x 8" to drop into the opening of my corny kegs. Going to try and filter the hot/cold break as well as I ferment in my kegs now. Hopefully it will not clog since the hop screen will keep most of the hop debris at bay. We'll see.

I will report here with some pics when I get a chance to use it. I am in the middle of converting my keg to electric so as soon as I can use it I will.

You know.. I had that same thought.. I really did.. Grab two of the 4in baskets, and put on each side. If you don't pack them, then you will have no issues what so ever.

Once you start tossing tons of hops in, then you get issues I think.

I ordered the 14 on since I needed the extra space, and it's 6in opening.

I generally use whole leaf. I've got a ton of it around here of various kinds, but I do use pellets in stuff that I don't have on hand.

I'm thinking for the FWH, I can put the tube from the tun into the strainer with my hops and let it run over them easily as well.

I might end up getting another tube. I will see how much whole leaf I can cram in there.. Might need two of them for the big DIPA's I do. I think I'll be okay for MOST beers doing this. Worse case, I toss the whole whole leaf right in.. I just need to cut down on the crap in the kettle.

I also thought, hey, for the flame out additions, since they are generally the bigger ones, I could just pull the strainer if it's full, or I could use a hop bag I keep around for the last addition. Since it's not boiling any more I have no issues "floating it" in the kettle. I'll have to play around with it. Hopefully this strainer will work for what I want to do. I was pretty irritated with that mess I had in the kettle. I don't want a bazooka tube in the kettle though.

I think these are great idea's. Almost changed my order to two smaller ones. However I'm going to try it the way others have first. Then I would like to use SS's idea and when i get ready to throw on my IC, I can remove the basket, rinse, put my chiller in and then place the basket into the center of the IC.

Another thought for those that have the equipment on hand, throw everything as usual into the BK and when you transfer do it into a bucket with the basket hanging on the side to filter hops, hot and cold break. Then transfer to your primary if the bucket isn't the primary. Doing it this way would be extra work I guess but aerate your wort in the process. Just a thought.

Silentnoiz said:
Yes please. :)

I received this out of band from another brewer who is using this (via email) and wanted to pass it along if anyone is interested. So far I have only used the 200 and 300 micron. This brewer has the 300 and 400. Here are his comments on using the 400:

I brewed Thursday night and used the 400 micron filter, definitely like the longer hooks on the sides and seemed to get a little more flow through the mesh. This time I used the filter for all hop additions, so when I took it out, instead of sitting it on the driveway, it went downstairs to where I do the cooling. I held it up a couple minutes to let it drain, then set it in the laundry tub. When I turned it upside down, I got a cylinder shaped "plug" of the fine hop pellets sitting there with very little wort. I was surprised that it didn't plug up and hold beer inside but that didn't happen. So overall I liked the 400 mesh and think it makes it easier to get more liquid out without also transfering the hop sludge.

I am thinking about getting a 400 to test out and chad offered to refit my 200 since it was too fine for this application in my book. Once I actually use a 400 I will gladly post an update with my observations.

bovineblitz said:
Interesting. I'm considering ordering one, though I'm not sure if I'd want the 300 or 400 micron.

I'm perfectly happy with my 300, there does still seem to be a fair amount of separation from the wort. I will likely try out the 400 but based on the reports I have seen I do not think you'll have any issues with either. I had a lot of fun brewing a big 2BBL batch of Pliny clone yesterday with over 10lbs of hops on the bill.... Forgot what a pain in the a$$ bags were especially with a monster DIPA like Pliny. We eventually said screw it and Tossed in the flameout addition directly in the kettle, even with whirlpool it was a sludge fest!

image-3443284973.jpg

What size/dimensions would you guys recommend for a 10 gallon kettle? I'm brewing 5.5 gallon batches, usually with a starting volume of around 6.75. I'd also like to make sure I have enough room in the basket for dipas (like pliny) from time to time.

Thanks very much!

@ Marcb, that's a nice cone! Can't see your diptube, but if you have one that is turned to the side, you would probably be in good shape. Also not sure of your chilling method, but you might be able to get away with 75% of your hops in the filter, and the final additions added directly into the wort for max effect. If you use a plate chiller, it wouldn't work...but an IC or CFC could handle this.

Just had a thought about splitting the filter into 2 sides (could also just have 2 filters, but it would be nice to have just one piece of equipment to put in the kettle). Simply a vertical piece of SS (non mesh) that divides the cylinder lengthwise into two sides. Could use side A for early hop additions, and side B for late hop additions. I was thinking it would give more room so that side B wouldn't have to compete with the sludge already there in side A. Another thing that could be done is have different mesh sizes for each side, one for pellets and one for whole. Some cons might be added cost, and possible decreased hop interaction with the wort.

Thoughts / opinions on doing something like that?

That's not a bad idea...the divider wouldn't have to be permanent either...just a good friction fit. No need to have a coarser mesh for whole hops...they won't clog the "pores" like pellets do.

I'm perfectly happy with my 300, there does still seem to be a fair amount of separation from the wort. I will likely try out the 400 but based on the reports I have seen I do not think you'll have any issues with either. I had a lot of fun brewing a big 2BBL batch of Pliny clone yesterday with over 10lbs of hops on the bill.... Forgot what a pain in the a$$ bags were especially with a monster DIPA like Pliny. We eventually said screw it and Tossed in the flameout addition directly in the kettle, even with whirlpool it was a sludge fest!

Cool, thanks for the thoughts :mug:

I think I'll mention it to a few people who may be looking to get me something for christmas, and specify the 400. I don't mind a little sludge getting in there so going bigger doesn't bother me really, plus it seems like it probably doesn't let much more through anyways.

Silentnoiz said:
Just had a thought about splitting the filter into 2 sides (could also just have 2 filters, but it would be nice to have just one piece of equipment to put in the kettle). Simply a vertical piece of SS (non mesh) that divides the cylinder lengthwise into two sides. Could use side A for early hop additions, and side B for late hop additions. I was thinking it would give more room so that side B wouldn't have to compete with the sludge already there in side A. Another thing that could be done is have different mesh sizes for each side, one for pellets and one for whole. Some cons might be added cost, and possible decreased hop interaction with the wort.

Thoughts / opinions on doing something like that?

That's interesting, I think I would still prefer two separate ones (a 300 and a 400) but whatever works for you. I like the idea of having the divider be removable (maybe a stainless plate in slots) for bigger IPA's.

I got mine today as well.. I got a 6in by 14in one made up.

Looks much nicer than the ones pictured, very much like the one Yambor44 has. Clean welds, no sharp corners or anything on mine. Seems very sturdy, and hangs on my 12 gallon pot very nicely.

Will use to Saturday for some wimp hopping schedule on a Porter, less than 2 oz in there of pellets.

However, next weekend, I will be doing an IPA or APA, and haven't decided on the hopping schedule as I have so many type of hops to play with, but I have plenty of leaf and pellet, and will end up tossing both in there. Will take pictures as well of it loaded.. Will probably be somewhere north of 6-10oz in there when it's all said and done.

Latest posts

Back